Chapter 29

"Niall, do you want some breakfast?" Ruth came into my new room after she lightly knocked on the open door. I rolled onto my back on my bed and sat up to look at here. "I made some pancakes and bacon. It's all downstairs in the kitchen."

"I'll be down." I spoke slowly, lifting the blankets from body and swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. I winced because I was still hurting from the abuse I suffered from Louis' henchmen.

"I can bring it up to you." Ruth offered.

"I'll be down. Don't worry." I waved her off and got up form bed, stretching my arms over my head and wiggling my toes so that they cracked. "See? All good." I smiled, even though it was fake.

I had been in the safe house for a week now and everything worked like clockwork. Three meals a day, sleep at a specific time, and a few drills of what to do when someone tries to get in. Oh, and the occasional baby scare from Ruth. It was pleasant, but I was still unhappy.

I hadn't heard anything about Zayn. It was like he was a taboo conversation topic. I just wanted to know if he was okay. Okay, well, I knew he was okay, but that's all I knew. He definitely got shot and was hurt for sure and all I got from John was that he was okay. "Have you heard any news?" I asked the table, meaning Harry and Ruth.

"No, we haven't." Harry cleared his throat. "I'm sure John will call with some news soon." We sat there in a weird silence and finished up breakfast. Ruth said she would clean up, but I didn't let her do a thing. He was tired lately and I knew the baby took a lot out of here, so I cleaned up all the dishes and threw them into the dishwasher.

I was going to go back to my room and laze around for the rest of the day, but I was itching to go outside and feel the sun, but I was strictly told to stay inside and mostly away from the windows. There was a good suspicion that Liam was out there looking everywhere for me. For some reason he was obsessed with me. So staying inside and away from the windows was a valid point to be made. Even if we were hundred of miles away from the city I spent my alone years in.

I sat in the living room and watched the news. It was nothing but sad stories and weather. There was nothing about what was really going on. How the cities were run by the wealthy who exploited the weak. I ended up turning the television off and just sitting in silence. Harry had gone out to pick up a few things for the house. Ruth was cleaning up an extra room in the house for the baby. Time was fast approaching and they were staying in the house for a while, so there was sense in why she was setting up a nursery.

I wandered around the house for the first since I got there. It was a normal house that looked like all the others in the neighborhood. It was a little older with some marks of people living there before. It was weird living in a house like this. It was just.... normal. It was nothing like what I lived in when I was younger. That place was a fallen apart s.hit hole. And then there was Zayn's house. It was grand and sleek and just amazing to live in. This house was a typical nuclear family home with an attached garage, three bedrooms upstairs and a kitchen-living room combo downstairs.

I walked down the hall from the kitchen to the garage and noticed a small rope hanging from the ceiling. It led to a door in the ceiling for the attic. I yanked the rope and some dust fell down. I coughed lightly and then pulled a little harder until the door opened and the latter fell down. I looked up into the dark hole in the ceiling and contemplated going up there.