Chapter 31

"Irwin!" John shouted with a hint of anger, yet excitement in his voice. "It's about time you showed up. Let me fill you in on everything." They shut the door and I was left stunned and confused. John just let this guy walk right into the house. Someone that nobody knew.

I carefully made my way down the rest of the stairs and into the kitchen. I stood just at the corner and watched as the new guy shook both Harry and Ruth's hands. I guess he was a friendly face. But I had a hard time trusting people. Could you blame me? I stood there for a little bit until John noticed me.

"Niall!" He waved me over. "Let me introduce you to this guy right here." He clapped his hand on the newcomers back. The guy turned around and fashioned a bright smile. He had dimples for days and a ragged look with his dirty blonde hair. "Zayn and I talked and thought that a look out was a good idea to have around here."

"Hello." He said. His voice had a thick accent that I couldn't quite place. He didn't reach out to shake my hand. He just stood there with his hands jammed into his pockets and a black stare on his face. "Name's Ashton, but you get to call me Irwin."

"Niall. You can just call me Niall." I stood back. I didn't like this guys attitude, but John said he was going to be some sort of guard for the place, so I guessed that I could trust him. I looked away from him and over to Ruth shyly. "Hey, uh, Ruth?"

"Yeah Niall?" She spoke up and then walked over to me, much like a mother would do her child.

"I was wondering if you could give me a cut?" I tugged on my hair and gave her a shy smile. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this Ashton guy smirk. I shook off the bad feeling I got from him and sat down in the chair that Ruth pulled out for me. Ashton and John moved to another spot in the house, just out of ear reach. My haircut was soothing and when it was all said and done, I had no blonde left. I was left with my natural hair color and it was weird to see myself in the mirror like that. The last time I had brown hair was before I met Louis. I only dyed it to be more appealing to my clients.

"So that's what you're supposed to look like..." I heard Zayn's soft voice behind me. I had wandered up into the bathroom on the upper floor. I looked towards the doorway of the bathroom and saw Zayn leaning against it.

"Yeah..." I swiped the razor down the side of my jaw, removing more of the stubble that had grown there. "I guess so. Do you like me this way?" I turned to Zayn again once I was done shaving. My skin was smooth and I felt normal again.

"I love you this way." Zayn said to me. His words made my heart skip a beat. It wasn't like he was saying I love you. That would be weird. But the feeling behind his words felt like he was trying to get a rise out of me. "I mean, I think you look perfect the way you are. You don't have to change anything about yourself."

I shook my head. "I'm dirty though."I told Zayn what I had always felt. Dirty. My skin was tainted. Yet, he still gazed upon it. My body was ruined, yet he still wanted to touch it.

"No." Zayn stepped into the bathroom. "That's not true."

"But I am." I told him again. I hugged myself and stepped back.

"You never could be." His words penetrated me. He stepped closer, cornering me in the bathroom. I shook my head. "Why won't you believe me? I see you in front of me and I see nothing but the most pure human I've ever seen in my life." He reached forward and touched my cheek. "Believe me, Niall."

"I can't."

"Then I will make you believe." Zayn slammed his lips against mine as we stumbled back against the far wall of the bathroom. I gently held onto Zayn so that I wouldn't graze his shoulder or his side. He ran his tongue into my mouth and we slid to the ground so that I was sitting in his lap. The bathroom door was open, but neither of us cared. I sucked on his tongue, felt it slide against my teeth. He bit my bottom lip and I gasped.