Chapter 6 |EDITED|

Mr. and Mrs. Grey were seated on the sofa in the living room. "How are you doing, honey?" Mrs. Grey asked me when she saw me enter the room. 

"I'm okay, just a bit jet-lagged," I replied. "Are you planning to stay the night?"I asked, hoping they would say yes. They are the closest thing to a family that I have now, and I want to spend as much time with them as I can.

 "If you want us to," Mrs. Grey replied, looking at her husband, asking him. He smiled and nodded.

I smiled at them and then walked to the kitchen. I saw a lady in a maid's uniform and an apron, tending to a pot on the stove. I cleared my throat, and she turned around. I smiled at her and waved. "Hello". 

"Hello, you must be Gabrielle. It was nice to finally meet you. Your parents talk about you all the time," she said cheerfully. At the mention of my parents, my mood went down. She noticed and came over to me and gave me a hug. I hugged her back and she whispered to me, "I'm so so sorry dear".

I removed myself from the hug and smiled at her. "What's your name?" I asked her. 

"I'm Calia". 

"Nice to meet you, Ms. Calia," I said politely. I almost introduced myself to her, then I remembered that she already knew me.

"What are you preparing?" I asked her. I've always loved being in the kitchen. I watch YouTube videos and Netflix series about cooking and baking. And because my parents loved me so much, they let me have my way in the kitchen freely. I've got skills, wink, wink.

Ms. Calia's eyes lit up excitedly. She held my hand and pulled me to the stove. She told me what each food was by pointing to it. First, she pointed to something that looked dough-ish. She said it is a famous dish in Zambia. It's called Nshima. She turned on the oven light and showed me the roasted chicken. It looked delicious. She then opened a Pyrex dish and showed me something that looked like a stewed mixture. It's called Kapenta, which is sardines. They are so tiny. Lastly, she carried me to a pot on the stove that she had just turned off and said that it was cabbage.

Everything looks so good. I can't wait to eat it. I helped her set the table and dish the food out. She told me about my parents, whenever they would visit here, and about tourist attractions in Lusaka. 

A couple of minutes later, we all sat at the dining table, including Alec and Ms. Calia. She was going to skip it, but I told her to sit down and eat.

 She was going to skip it, but I told her to sit down and eat

The dinner was so mouth-watering. I hope I get the chance to eat this again. After dinner, Ms. Calia left and Alec stayed for 'security, Mr. Grey's words, not mine.

Mr. and Mrs. Grey went up to their room after dinner. I was in the living room, watching Alec close the windows and doors.

I turned the TV on and Alec came over to sit near me. "What do you want to watch?" I asked him politely. 

"Umm, I'm sure you've seen Blindspot; how about a rerun?" he suggested. I smiled and turned to him, 

"Sure, I don't mind re-watching it".

After the first two episodes, I excused myself to get a bit more comfortable. Alec was kind enough to pause it, even though I told him it was okay.

I went up to my room and found some clothes on my bed. I guess Ms. Calia placed it there. I went over to it and took out a T-shirt and pajama shorts. I put the rest in the closet and drawers.

I grabbed a towel and went to the bathroom across from my room. I didn't take long to bathe, seeing that Alec was waiting on me.

After I showered and got dressed, I put my hair in a silk bonnet. My glasses were in my bag, so I took them out and placed them on. My eyesight is not that great, but I can live without my glasses. It's square-shaped with dark purple highlights.

I put my deodorant and socks on and headed back to the living room. The TV was the only light on and the living room was eerily quiet. I took slow, quiet, cautious steps, looking for Alec.

My eyes widened, adjusting to the darkness. "Alec?" I called out loudly. I saw no movement and heard nothing. "Alec?" I called a little louder, getting a bit paranoid. I was just about to turn around and go to the kitchen when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I immediately turned around and punched whoever was there. 

"It's me," I heard a familiar voice say. I ran to the light switch and turned it on.

Alec was standing there holding his nose, with his head up. I ran over to him and pulled him into the kitchen. "Sorry, I didn't know it was you," I apologized. "It's fine, you had a good punch though," he said.

 "I'm the Jamaican Mafia Princess. Of course, I have a good punch," I said, rolling my eyes."Where the hell were you anyway?" I asked curiously. Of course, I didn't expect him to just sit on the couch for minutes waiting for me, but at least stay in the area.

 "Oh, well, I thought I heard something outside, so I went to check," he said. I was a bit alarmed and he took notice. "It's OK, you're safe and I have training in combat, firearms, and knives," he said boastfully.

We arrived at the kitchen, and I assisted him in sitting in the chair. I went to the freezer and took out some ice and placed it on a kitchen towel and gave it to him. 

"Whatever, no need to boast, I have my punches," I said with an attitude. I've had training in Karate, Taekwondo, and martial arts. Also, with weapons AND knives. Even though dad didn't want me involved, I was still trained in case of emergencies. Alec didn't need to know that.

"How about I train you sometimes?" Alec suggested. I smiled to myself and said yes. Just wait till you see me in action, Alec. 

"All right," I said, "you go back out, and I'll get us some popcorn and drinks."

Alec was really nice and funny. We had many things in common. We were talking so much that we forgot about the show that was on. When we ran out of stuff to talk about, we decided to play some board games. I chose to play The Game of Life. I had a good time because Alec kept losing and blaming me. 

"How do you always win?" he whined, huffing like a child. 

"Because you always lose," I replied, laughing at him.

"You know, you're like the sister I never had," he said after a while of silence. I smiled because I had always wanted a brother. "Awww," I exclaimed to him. Then it hit me. 

"Hey, Alec, can I borrow your phone?" I asked him. He furrowed his eyebrows curiously but gave it to me anyway and I dialed the number, waiting for them to answer.

"Hello"

I exhaled loudly, "Jayden"

XOXO ~TORI