Chapter 1 |EDITED|

Have you ever experienced the feeling when you are sleeping, but still somewhat conscious? That's me right now. I'm on the floor sleeping and my parents are in my room talking over me.

"Awww, look at how cute they are sleeping together" I heard my mother gushing over my best friend and I. 

I was going to let them know that I was awake, but I wanted to sleep for a little bit longer.

"Like hell, they are 'cute' sleeping together. I will kill that boy personally I swear". I heard my dad say.

My dad dislikes my best friend, Jayden, I guess because he is a male. Jay and I have known each other since we were children, and we have no romantic feelings towards each other whatsoever. However, my father believes he is in love with me and will take me away from him, which is ridiculous. 

I really ove my mom and dad, and I will never leave them intentionally.

"I can hear you guys," I said out loud with my eyes still closed.

There was a brief moment of silence before my mother cleared her throat, "Morning, sweetheart, breakfast is ready; you and Jayden can come down and eat".  She said and I heard their footsteps descending down the stairs.

I groaned out loud and rolled on top of Jayden's back, stretching my arms and legs, while yawning.

"If you don't get off me, Gabby, I'm going to tickle you," he threatened.

I hate being tickled.  My hands and feet start to move uncontrollably, I get side stitches and my jaw hurts too much from laughing. That was reason enough for me to fly off him like I was caught on fire. He started chuckling while getting up and I just scowled at him. 

Getting up, I felt the after-effects of sleeping on the floor. Yes, I have a perfectly good bed, but my dad didn't like the idea of us having a sleepover, much less sleeping in the same bed. So I decided to just make a fort on the ground and sleep with Jay.

I was still tired. It was about 8 in the morning and we went to bed around 3 a.m. because someone wanted to binge-watch teen wolf. I swear Jayden thinks that he is Scott for some apparent reason.

I am 21 years old and have spent my entire life in Jamaica, where I was born and raised. Montego Bay to be exact, which is located in the west side of Jamaica. 

I am aware of what my parents do, but my father doesn't want me to be a part of that life. I was trained to fight and defend myself in times of future crisis. Being the daughter of powerful parents, I didn't have a normal childhood, like going to school, partying, and so on.I was homeschooled all my life and completed college online. 

Whenever I leave home, I always have a personal driver and a bodyguard accompanying me, whether I'm with my parents or just by myself. It was uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it and it was the only way to ensure that I would be safe.

To the public I was known as 'The Jamaican Princess'. My age nor face was not disclosed but only to my dad's mafia. It is safer that way.

Even though I couldn't have a normal job, I worked online as a tutor from time to time. I've always wanted to become a teacher, so that's what I did. 

Jayden and his parents were also a part of the mafia.

"I don't think I will be joining you next time on the floor. My back is killing me," I told Jay as I walked to the bathroom connected to my room. Closing the door, I peed and then I had a shower and brushed my teeth. After I was done, I wrapped a towel securely around me and walked back to my room.

"You can go take a shower now," I told Jay, walking to my closet. He got up and headed to the bathroom.

I quickly put on my bra and underwear and wrapped the towel around me again. I decided to wear a little blue summer dress with a spaghetti strap that reached just above my knee. I placed the dress on my bed and got started with my hair. I wasn't a big fan of wearing makeup, so I just went without.

My hair was in mini twists yesterday, so I just untwist them and fluffed it out. I used my hairbrush to brush my hair upwards and secured it with a hair tie and left the top curly.

I placed some moisturizer on my face and applied some lip balm. The bathroom door opened and Jay walked out, fully dressed in grey shorts and a black t-shirt. I got up and went to the bed to get my dress and he went to brush his hair at my vanity mirror.

I removed the towel and began placing the dress on my body. "Jesus Gabby," Jay exclaimed. I rolled my eyes and continued putting on the dress.

"What? You've seen me in my underwear millions of times," I explained.

"I know it just gets me every time," he said quietly. I shook my head and we began cleaning up the room together. 

Jay is like a brother to me. He's loving, kind, and always looks out for me.

After we were done, we headed downstairs for breakfast. Jay was in front of me, so you know what I did? I jumped on his back... and we almost fell. 

"You know, for a man in the mafia, you are quite weak," I told him, but he ignored me and continued walking, holding me up.

I jumped down when we reached the kitchen and saw my mom and dad at the table eating. I dashed over to my father, hugged and kissed him, and did the same to my mother. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith, good morning," Jayden said. My dad rolled his eyes and continued eating. My mom answered, however.

"Dad," I said, indicating that he should respond.

He muttered, "Good morning."

 My dad has a soft spot for me, so I use it to my advantage. 

You would think that after all these years, my dad and Jayden would get along, but nope, he still hates him, just like on the first day when I introduced him to them. How do you even hate a 4-year-old?

I sat comfortably at the table and the maid brought a plate and placed it in front of me. "Thank you, Ms. Day," I said, smiling at our maid.

"You are welcome dear" she replied and then gave Jayden his plate. I rubbed my hands together and devoured the ackee and saltfish and fried dumplings.

 I rubbed my hands together and devoured the ackee and saltfish and fried dumplings

XOXO~TORI