Thirty-Two

Moving was a bit of a process, anyone could agree. Newt and (name) had been quite the messy pair, books and pencils nearly flying everywhere in their rushed and exciting process to move. The two were writers, eccentric ones at that. Newt was proud of his finished book, one that would be sure to be provided in schools for educational purposes. Of course, Newt had been the first to create something that was a handbook of the beasts of the wizarding world. Newt was a stepping stone for learning about magical creatures in the wizarding world and learning, rather than fearing.

(Name) had been sitting near the fireplace, a book in hand as Newt had finished up on dinner. He glanced over to his significant other, a small smile spreading onto his face. He slowly walked over, gently taking a seat and resting his head against hers. He let out a content little sigh, his arm wrapping around her small shoulders. 

"What are you reading, love?" He had asked, moving her hair away from her face with his gentle fingers. She glanced over at Newt, a small smile on her lips. She placed a quick and gentle kiss to the tip of his nose, laughing softly to herself. 

"Nothing much." She said simply, popping a gentle shrug, making sure that his arm hadn't fallen off of her shoulders. She enjoyed these soft and intimate moments, more than he could even imagine. Those warm little cuddles by the fire had been memories that she would never forget. She showed Newt the cover of her book, smiling gently at him. His long fingers moved to hold the book, making sure to keep it open on the page that she had left off on. 

"A romance novel?" He asked, glancing at her. She had shrugged, seeming just to be passing the time with it. Not usually what she would read, but she clearly wasn't objecting to it. He opened the book back up, now holding it in his hand. He rubbed her shoulder with his other hand, his fingers playing at the fabric of her shirt. "May I read to you?" He asked her, his eyes flicking over to meet hers. Of course, she had nodded simply before following with a small smile. She cuddled into his side, her hands resting on his chest. Newt had settled into the couch, leaning back and keeping his head on top of hers as he had begun to read.

It was calm.

The sound of his voice only melting into the crackles of the fireplace. The warm, golden glow reflecting off the two of them. They were the storybook couple, finally able to be themselves without the fear of being prosecuted for their love. It was everything they ever wanted, and their first meeting seemed like centuries ago from now. They were settling down, and it was quite obvious that the two would sooner or later prepare for a child and a real family. The pair loved each other, and for good reason. They had gone through so much to be with one another, that every hardship had made them feel nearly inseparable. 

Still, Newt had pitied the other wizards like him who had fallen for a no-Maj. It wasn't fair, the whole system. It made no sense how in New York, or rather America, there was such a division between the two groups. He knew that (Name) had missed home. She had a family, a life, and some friends, he at least assumed. He wanted to give her a chance to visit home, visit them. It wasn't fair to keep her all to himself, he thought. 

But sitting by the fire, holding her like this, he wanted to be greedy and selfish. At least for right now, all he wanted was for her to stay by his side, by the fireplace as he had read this silly romance novel to her. He wanted this warm and cozy night to be one where they stayed at each other's side.