Twenty Nine

The lights in the house were dimmed and barely lit up the room. The walls were all lined in an antique wallpaper that was a dark shade of green with a golden floral pattern painted along it. In some areas it was peeling slightly, but overall it was all in top-notch shape. The ground was polished dark wood that looked barely lived upon. The girl had taken her shoes off as she had walked in, just as Newt had. The ground was slippery to her stockings, but she didn't dare complain. She had grabbed onto Newt's arm when she had nearly slipped with her heels sliding beneath her, but nevertheless she had managed to stand.

Rodger had lead the two of them to the dining room, a tiled white floor meeting the girl's toes. The tile was extremely cold, and she felt a chill run up her spine. Being in this house felt wrong and she was scared that at any moment someone would realize she didn't belong in the house. Before she knew it, she was already sitting down at the dark wood table on the chair. A woman sat across from her, her curly brown locks framing her delicate face. She had few wrinkles on her face along her eyebrows and it was obvious she was generally frowning. 

Rodger had sat down next to her, and Newt had sat down next to (Name). "Nice to see you've settled down a bit." Newt's mother had said gently and Newt had nodded the slightest bit, his lips pursing in an uncomfortable smile. His mother had sighed before waving her hand, dishes full of movie-poster-worthy food floating into the room, all elegantly. It was hard to relate these people to Newt, they had all been neat and organized while Newt was the complete opposite. The girl looked over at Newt, and it was obvious he knew what she was thinking.

He sighed gently and picked up a fork. (Name) had crossed her legs before clearing her throat gently, her heart racing more and more by the second. She was worried magic would come up in a conversation. Then what? She didn't remember anything, she was blanking, and panicking. Newt had gently placed his hand on her leg, his eyes focused on her. She turned to him, only now noticing how crazy she must've looked. She took a deep breath in before sighing with a smile. "What's wrong with her?" Rodger had asked with his brows furrowing. Newt had felt a knot in his throat. 

"She's nervous, that's all. She's worried you guys won't like her." He had said, mostly in honesty. Rodger had furrowed his brows further.

This dinner was going be long for all of them.