Fifty-Four | Escape

(No header for now)

Olivia Rae | Raelynn Carson

♤♤♤

"Hey, bro! Check this out!" I called out, waving River over as I continued to tinkle with the objects that laid on my table.

My brother quickly made his way towards where I stood, leaning his body on the table as he crossed his arms.

"Now what?" River raised a brow as he waited for me to continue.

"Okay, so you know I've been spending months perfecting this—"

"Bomb, yeah I know. It's the only thing that's been keeping you distracted." He cut off with a chuckle.

"Anyway, I think I've perfected it." I grabbed the object in my hands and brought it up to his face. River quickly flinched and moved out of the way.

Seeing his antics, I quickle stifle a laugh. "Idiot." I muttered, still laughing at him.

"Dumbass! I don't want that to blow up on my face!" He defended himself.

"Really? It seems to me your scared of bombs." I teased, bringing the bomb closer to his face with my left hand, my right laid on my hip.

"No! I just don't want to die at such a young age for God's sake." He complained, scratching the back of his neck.

"And hold that bomg properly, would you?!" He exclaimed when he noticed my other hand perced on my hip.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes as a smile remained on my face.

"As I was saying, this bomb works in both ways, I guess?" I started, my gaze locked on the circular contraption on my hand.

"Most of it consists of nitrogen, with few other chemicals of course. When detonated, nitrogen is released and compresses before it lights up. The area of coverage is compact, that way the impact and the pressure is greater. It may also work as a stun grenade with a little bit of spice. A small yet a powerful explosion, don't you think?" I explained, bringing my gaze back to him.

"I definitely did not understand a single word of what you said." He replied, brows furrowing in confusion.

I laughed. "Who's the dumbass now?"

"What did you say?!"

"Nothing—"

"Children." A voice called out. River and I quickly fixed ourselves. I hurriedly put the bomb on the table safely before we made our way to our parents who now stood in the living room.

"Yes, dad?" River asked, giving our father an anxious gaze.

"I'm sure you two remember the time I told you about your grand debut as our children?" He asked the both of us.

River and I spared each other a fearful gaze. If there was anything we know about their parents, it's the fact that they were consumed by money and power. I bet they would even trade us, their children, for a large sum of money.

"Uhh, not exactly." I replied, looking down towards the ground.

"Well, todays the day my honeybuns!" Mom cheered, pulling out a pistol from her pocket before twirling it around her finger.

Mom crouched in front of us before lifting up my chin using the butt of her gun.

"Today's your lucky day."

♤♤♤

March 14th. A day that completely changed our lives. A day that remained etched on my mind.