Fifty-Six | The Grand Masquerade

Ps. Edited version starts here, so when the time where I unpublish the book for editing comes, these chapters won't be changed much except for the fact that they'd be turned to 3rd person POV.

 Edited version starts here, so when the time where I unpublish the book for editing comes, these chapters won't be changed much except for the fact that they'd be turned to 3rd person POV

Bella Ryan | Isabella Moretti

____

The Grand Masquerade

♤♤♤

Being located 260 miles away from Rome, the ride to Sicily took about an hour. It was fortunate enough that Gray brought a jet, seeing as he also was a bit far from where he was to fetch me. I was in Rome, Gray was in Venice, and the masquerade was held in Sicily, the territory of the Sicilian Mafia.

And though the ball was one of the things people in my 'industry' was looking forward to every year, I wasn't much excited of it. After all, I was placing myself in the lone country where my enemy held the most power. Can you blame me though? Said country was basically an island. Their only way out of the place was by air or by sea. Right, it's not like I was putting myself in a very vulnerable position.

But there was something that was not right, I just can't tell what it exactly is.

It can't be that much of a deal, can it? I sighed, deciding to wave it off and paid no more attention to the fuzzy feeling residing itself in my stomach.

♤♤♤

Half an hour later, the car that fetched us from the airport came to a halt in front of a massive pair of doors. Both being wide open, revealing the elegant decoration that was placed around the foyer. The Sicilians may be my greatest enemies, but I cannot deny the fact that said mafia did a good job in hosting the masquerade-- physical appearance wise, at least. We'll get to see their hospitality later, especially towards me and Gray: who were both after the Sicilian's heads and vice versa.

With a scoff, I raised my arm and put on my mask which, coincidentally, matched with Gray's. It was lucky since we were attending the ball as partners of each other. But unlike mine, Gray's mask had lace trailing off into the side instead of the ruby sequins that mine had. His mask completely covered the top half of his face, revealing only his eyes whilst my mask somewhat had an intricate design than revealed more of my face compared to my partner's.

After making sure that both our masks were securely in place, we stepped out of the car. With Gray having to exit first before holding out a hand for me to grab as I stepped out of the vehicle.

"You said Serena and the others were already here?" I asked, as he intertwined my arm in his.

"Yes, she had left much earlier than me so I assume she had arrived here a couple minutes earlier." Gray explained, continuing to hold my arm as he lead me down the long carpet and towards the entrance.