XX. Flames and Fire

"𝙸𝚏 𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖 𝚞𝚙 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚎𝚌𝚝 𝚠𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗, 𝚜𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚌𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞. "

- 𝙱𝚘𝚢 𝙼𝚎𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍

✮∘.✮∘.✮

Move faster

Move faster.

The Nephilim screamed at the girl.

Sprinting across the leaf-strewn ground, stumbling over the fallen logs, the girl indeed kept moving towards the endless darkness. Leaves and branches kept swatting at her exposed skin, marring them with long-nasty cuts and those long strands of her too were being tugged by the claw-shaped branches around. But still, the girl's pace didn't falter by an inch.

Not even when the footfall of her enemy grew louder and louder. It grew so close that the boy's own heart began to tremble with fear.

"You can't outrun me, little girl", a deep, distorted voice called out cutting through the utter silence that moved around the forest.

The enemy's words sent a chill through the Nephilim's spine as he knew how painfully true it was. Flustered the boy too increased his own speed, kept running after her with equal urgent steps, and a never-ending holler "Don't stop, don't dare to stop"

But she did. When her enemy managed to reach her and wrapped the dirty hands around her ankle, she stopped running altogether and cried out.

The pain in that sound was so fierce it nearly took the Nephilim to his knees.

No.
No.
No.

He cried out. The boy just couldn't go through this all over again.

Please, please. Don't do this to me, please. Not again, no!

The familiar prayer left his mouth like every other time but it didn't feel as holy as once it did because deep inside, the boy knew how exactly it was going to end but nevertheless he prayed until his vision was left as a blurry mess and darkness siphoned all the light around him like always.

A month later

Jack Kline woke up abruptly with a loud gasp, a hand on his chest trying to calm down his erratic heartbeat as he fought to stay upright. He felt this death-like weight crushing on his chest only to dissipate into something tighter, harder, and stronger. The boy started to look around, unsure of what he was feeling but also knowing it was intense.

A premonition— like something bad was going to happen.

Seconds passed. Maybe minutes and when he finally calmed down, it hit him.