XVII. Waiting and Willing

"𝙸 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚖 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚒𝚗 𝚗𝚞𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚖𝚜, 𝚗𝚞𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎𝚜... 𝙸𝚗 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎, 𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚐𝚎, 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛."

–𝚃𝚊𝚐𝚘𝚛𝚎

✮∘.✮∘.✮

Apocalypse World

Apocalypse World

It was one of those days when the Nephilim wished he could sleep; sleep till she woke up so that he could avoid this constant dull pain throbbing inside his chest, but sleep was never a privilege in his short living life so instead, he set his chin on Fayre's pillow and tried to breathe along with her, it helped him to remind that she was still alive, her heartbeat didn't stop and he was able to save her.

It had been four days since Fayre had fallen into an unconscious state despite of Jack saving her from a confirmed death but instead of the joy and the relief he should feel, it was absolute misery that was tormenting him every passing seconds. He had been told about how both her body and mind needed time to recover, how she needed enough rest to get better but what they didn't tell him was how these four days would feel like forever and how he would be hashing and rehashing that horrific day over and over again.

"I'll always listen to you", Jack slowly whispered, "I will never fly around without you, never leave you again, I...I won't even touch nougat if you tell me so, but please open your eyes, please....", Jack pleaded, eyes flickered over her motionless face trying to find any changes but the girl remained still except the steady rise and fall of her chest.

With a sigh, he gently grasped Fayre's hand under the blanket and laid his head next to it in a hope that her subconscious mind would feel his presence, she wouldn't be scared anymore. So even when all the people around him were fast asleep, the boy still kept his eyes open, waiting for the girl to find her way back to them; back to him.

And she did.

The sun was still behind the eastern clouds and the soft distant caws of morning bird only began when Jack felt someone trying to pull Fayre's hand from his grasp, he immediately jerked up and saw it was the girl herself who was trying to do so, and the moment his eyes fell on her open ones, he closed his owns; he closed them to take a deep breath like he was overwhelmed with relief.

The Nephilim didn't waste a second to pull her into his arms, he knew he shouldn't use so much force, she was still week and he should treat her gently but the boy couldn't help it. The relief he was feeling– it was so deep he could almost feel it in his soul.

"You're here", he whispered.

"I am", the girl assured, her voice came out as a meek, though the Nephilim didn't have any problem to understand it, but it sure heightened his obvious distress.