f o r t y o n e

Anthony Lawrence

Deep in my heart I knew that what I was doing was wrong and could hurt Olivier very badly in the end, which wasn't my intention. It seemed like the more time we spent together, the more he fell in love with me.

To my surprise, Elias didn't show up after I've signed the divorce papers, which I would have expected him to do. Every time I closed my eyes I saw him standing in front of me with a pained expression, making me instantly regret what I did to him.

But still, I didn't regret my decision to end whatever this was between us or at least that's what I told myself as a comfort again and again.

"Ant, you're zoning out again." Oliver chuckled, bringing me back to reality as my thoughts were obviously drifting away to Elias again. It was starting to make me go crazy. It's been weeks since I saw him last time but somehow it always felt as if he was standing right next to me.

The worst thing was that I was actually feeling as if I was cheating on Oliver all the time, because I was never thinking or dreaming about him as it was the case with Elias.

Even after several dates with Oliver and a few kisses that were for the most part initiated by Oliver and sometimes by me to not make my lack of interest too obvious, I didn't feel anything for him.

I've even met his parents several times, because to Oliver although we didn't know each other for long, he took whatever relationship we currently had and the time we spent together a little bit too seriously and I could clearly tell that he was holding himself back to ask me to officially be in a relationship with him.

"Sorry, I had a lot of work at the hospital today." I apologized, cracking a light smile, which Oliver returned, putting his hand over mine on the table.

My parents who sat in front of us, were looking at Oliver with great admiration for him. They both instantly fell in love with his kindness and his generosity, seeing him as the perfect partner for me, which kind of bothered me.

To be honest, I tried to avoid that my parents meet Oliver, because I just knew for a fact that they would hope that he'll be their future-son-in-law, which would definitely never happen.

However, Oliver has asked me over and over again, when it would finally be his turn to meet my family and after a while I didn't have any good excuses left.

I knew for sure that I had to tell him the truth one day, that there will probably never be a future for the both of us, because my heart was apparently already taken. But I wanted to wait for the right moment, where it wouldn't hurt him so badly.

It seemed like no matter what I did lately I couldn't avoid hurting people either with my words or with my actions.

"Tell us Oliver, how have things been going with you lately?" Mom asked curiously, a warm smile on her face, while she took one sip of her tea. "Somehow, every time we ask a question about you Anthony refuses to give us an answer."

Her eyes wandered to me skeptically, while at the same time I tried to avoid Oliver's questioning stare, making me feel bad again. He told his family every little detail about me and our dates. So, he obviously expected me to do the same.

"That's right. We honestly don't know much about you." My father exclaimed truthfully, which made Oliver laugh awkwardly and bite on his bottom lip, a clear sign that he was feeling uncomfortable at this moment.

"I thought that it would be better to let Oliver tell you anything you want to know about him," I lied, making me feel even worse.

"Yes, of course. After all, nobody knows me better than myself, right?" Oliver joked, which made my parents laugh, making the tension that had formed between us disappear. However, I could feel that he didn't believe what I just said, because he wanted to take his hand away from mine, but I managed to keep him from doing so, holding his hand in a tight grip.