f o r t y

Elias Easton

"This is a joke, right?" I asked skeptically as I entered my parents' dining room.

"Don't be rude and come here!" Mom demanded in a serious tone, nervously brushing a few strands of hair out of her face.

My parents sat on one side of the large table, while people I wished I would have never seen again in my entire life sat on the other side.

Memories of how I sat together with Anthony at this table as I introduced him to my parents popped up in my mind.

The lack of empathy I had for him at this time made me sick to my stomach.

I also remembered that after dinner with my parents I forced Anthony to sleep naked with me in my bed and as I held him, thinking about all the dirty things I would do to him, he started crying for the first time out of what seemed like over thousandths of times that followed pretty soon.

Pushing these memories aside, I sat down on the only free chair left that was located on one side of the table directly in the middle, where everybody could see me perfectly.

It was me, who made the decision to divorce Anthony, so I had to finally forget about him and move on.

Anthony didn't take the divorce too hard, he signed the divorce papers so casually without even thinking twice.

His reaction didn't surprise me, but it obviously still bothered me, hurting my pride and my heart heavily.

However, I deserved to feel this pain and although my heart sometimes ached so badly that I even felt like crying, which I never did, I tried to suppress my emotions.

People would laugh about me for pathetically crying over someone who rejected me and never even loved me.

I sighed deeply, glancing up to the people, whose eyes were all on me.

On the one side of the table sat both of my parents with an unreadable facial expression. In comparison to me they were dressed nicely and got their hair perfectly styled. Mom even wore a full face of makeup tonight, which she only did for occasions where she knew she would feel uncomfortable and needed some extra confidence.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the way I looked these last weeks. It just wasn't that important to me anymore.

I forced myself to look at the other side of the table, where Leah sat together with her parents and her two older brothers.

Eric already warned me that the devil in person and her whole psychopathic family would come over for dinner to make an announcement. But although they sat just a few inches away from me I still couldn't believe that I was actually in one room with all of them at once.

Leah had Sam sitting on her lap, which was never a good sign. This meant that she didn't want me to explode for whatever annoucement they wanted to make, because I would never make a fuss in front of Sam.

He was already scared of me, sometimes even cold towards me and I didn't want to make it worse.

I did as Anthony said and spent almost one month just laying in my bed, my body connected to multiple machines to finally recover slowly but surely.

However, I wasn't strong enough for whatever discussion these insane people wanted to have with me.

"Although you are quite late, it's nice to finally have you here with us," mom smiled, after an awkward silence.

Not that I ever had a choice whether or not I wanted to be here, though.

"As you can see Leah and her family decided to come over for dinner to make a wonderful announcement," my father explained with excitement.