f i f t y f i v e

Anthony Lawrence

"Ready for your first lesson?" Elias' father, George, asked me with a slight smirk. I was pretty sure he was anticipating these training sessions more than me, and I simply knew that I had entered hell.

The fact that Elias wasn't with me and that I was here alone with George in the middle of nowhere only surrounded by trees, didn't make this situation any better. I doubted that anybody would randomly walk passed us because we were that far away from any sort of civilization.

I knew that this was intentional, so that no one could disturb us and because George's training lessons in how to successfully kill someone wasn't exactly made for the public eye.

Though, I didn't feel safe being alone with him but Elias reassured me that nothing would happen, and I hoped I could trust him with that.

"I don't really have a choice whether I want to be here or not." I stated, mentally preparing myself.

"No, you don't. Because you have to protect my son and my grandson in case something happens." He said in a serious tone.

I shook my head, feeling completely out of place. "I don't think I can do that. Isn't it easier to hire more bodyguards?"

"I think you definitely remember what happened to Sam and also the night you almost got killed. In both cases there were bodyguards around and still you weren't safe."

He had a good point and I knew how serious it was that I got some basic knowledge about how to defend myself or others, but it didn't actually make me feel better.

"Alright, let's start with a simple warm-up."

The word simple was an understatement.

I thought that this training was only about learning how to use a gun but George made me run laps around the field, until I feared my legs would give out on me. And although I tried to take it seriously and try my best, George couldn't stop making provocative comments.

"Pick up the pace a little more! Are you trying to embarrass yourself?"

However, after a few laps I couldn't push through it anymore, making him a sign that I had no energy left.

"Pathetic," he muttered under his breath, his disappointment evident in every word he said so far.

Even worse than laps were the exercises he made me do afterward, observing every movement of mine with a critical eye.

The worst one were definitely the push-ups. Already after the first few ones I could feel my muscles protesting, my breathing going ragged. My form faltering with every repitition. My arms shaking uncontrollably.

"What in the world do you call that? Are you even trying?" He questioned in disbelief.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance but still pushed myself to go lower, to push harder. But my body simply wasn't used to it and refused to cooperate with me, George's frustration growing with each failed attempt.

As the simple warmup eventually came to an end, I thought that I've survived the worst but as George handed me a gun, I was completely stressed out, not knowing what I was supposed to do. With my trembling hands I fumbled with the gun, trying to find the right grip.

"Pay attention and follow my instructions! This is not a game." His voice cut through the air like a blade. "These sort of mistakes can be deadly"

I swallowed hard, unable to steady my nerves, attempting to follow his equally simple instructions, only seeming to dig myself deeper into a pit of incompetence.