t h i r t y t h r e e

Anthony Lawrence

With slightly shaking hands, I rang the doorbell of my parents' house. Elias made sure nobody saw me. He wanted the people to continue to believe that I have disappeared. However, right now it didn't bother me, because whether I stayed captivated at Elias' mansion or had to endure the rumors Spencer was spreading about me, didn't make a big difference.

Spencer Channing, my biggest rival, seemed to really enjoy my disappearance. He destroyed everything I worked so hard for. He changed my reputation and took my opportunity away to get free again one day.

Even if I'd try to flee from Elias, I couldn't live normally. I didn't know how many people Spencer manipulated into thinking that I wasn't who people thought I was. I'd probably have to deal with lawyers, judges and the police to get out of this mess and there was no guarantee I'd even make it.

I was lost and really didn't know where I belonged right now.

"Are you nervous?" Elias asked me, while we waited for someone to open up the door.

"I didn't see them for months and they maybe even think that I am dead. Of course, I'm nervous." I replied. "What about you?"

"Why should I be nervous?" Elias asked amused.

"Because you are going to meet my parents for the first time?" I asked skeptically. "Or did you already kidnapped and married so many people that it seems normal to you?"

"Actually, you're the only one," he retorted with a smirk.

"How flattering," I rolled my eyes, but stopped focusing on Elias as the door suddenly opened up to reveal a tired looking woman with the same facial traits as mine, the same blond her and sparkly blue eyes.

"Mom." I exclaimed happily and layed my arms around her to give her a tight hug. She didn't immediately hug me back because she needed some time to realize that it was really me. But the moment she did, she started crying and I couldn't suppress a few tears either.

I didn't realize how much I missed my parents and in general my old life until now. I didn't know if my life would ever be normal again and if this would be the last time I would get to see my parents. However, at least this time, I would get the chance to say goodbye to them properly.

"I can't believe that you are alive," She said and took a step back to wipe her tears away and to take a look at my overall appearance. "You lost so much weight."

Her facial expression turned into a worried one and I wanted to say something but her eyes fell onto Elias, who I completely forgot stood behind me patiently.

"Who is this young man?" She asked curiously, but there was also a little bit of fear in her voice.

I mean I understood her. He was tall, muscular and had an attitude that screamed power. He didn't look like the nice son-in-law every parent wished for. In fact, I had the same first impression as I saw Elias and let me tell you I was so damn right, that something was wrong with him.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person, Miss Lawrence. You are as gorgeous as I imagined you to be. My name is James Callaway and I'm your beautiful son's husband," Elias introduced himself and gave my mom a bouquet of flowers I didn't notice he had until now.

I forced myself to not grimace too hard or even worse vomit at his words. I was irritated for a little moment as he used a different name, but it was obvious that he wouldn't go out and tell the whole world his real name. Mom immediately started to smile and all the doubts she had before regarding Elias were gone.

It always amazed me how he managed to manipulate all the people into liking him and doing what he wanted. Except for me of course, who he had to threaten and force to do what he wanted. I would never fall for his games.