f i f t y f o u r

Elias Easton

I mindlessly sat at my desk in my office, doing something only insane people would do.

During work I couldn't stop my eyes from wandering to the trash bin next to me, seeing the colorful shredded pieces of Sam's drawing.

I thought of getting rid of it, so that it wouldn't distract me anymore but I ended up doing the complete opposite.

With one hand motion, I pushed all of the documents on my desk to the side, creating some space, before collecting all of the pieces I could find, placing them in front of me.

As I was sure to have all the pieces together, I started gluing them all together piece by piece, probably spending hours on this unexpected project.

I had no idea why I was doing it, nor what benefit I would get from it. But I couldn't stop myself from doing it, until all the pieces were where they belonged, creating the complete and harmonious picture my soul was craving for.

It felf like I was fixing all of the problems I was facing in real life, only that they were by far not that easy to fix.

"Dad?" Sam shyly knocked on my door, making me jump slightly. I was quick to put some random documents that were laying nearby on Sam's image, I had just completed, hiding it.

Because I wouldn't be able to find the right words to describe my action, since I didn't know why I did it in the first place myself.

"Yes?" I asked, looking up to Sam, who was standing in the doorway, a small smile forming on my lips every time I saw that he had a good day, where he didn't need his wheelchair.

"Are we still planing on meeting Tony today to celebrate my birthday?" He asked, a spark of hope in his tone.

I completely forgot about that.

I still didn't have the courage to tell Sam anything about Anthony till now, and seeing the anticipation he had to see him again, didn't make it easier for me.

Obviously, I should have listened to what Anthony had to say but it simply didn't make sense that they were there on the exact time and date I was about to visit his parents, and there was no doubt his parents absolutely loathed me.

However, I didn't expect Anthony to agree with their plan.

"Sam, you know...", I tried to find the right words but as I saw sadness covering his face right away, already guessing that he wouldn't like what I was about to tell him, I changed my mind. "I have a few documents left to go through and then we'll leave."

The way his eyes lit up was answer enough that I definitely made the right decision. Though, I had no idea if Anthony was even at home. He told me he took the day off but it could be that he still decided to go to work or go out with his friends.

And therefore, if Anthony didn't answer the door while I was there with Sam. Sam couldn't blame me for being the reason another one of his birthdays went downhill.

So, after finishing all the relevant work for today, Sam and I made our way to Anthony's apartment. I probably knew the route by heart, seeing the amount of times I came to visit him. I couldn't have known that our relationship wouldn't last that long.

I took Sam's wheelchair with me, in case his legs would go numb or he'd get cramps, already thinking about what I could do instead to save the day and celebrate Sam's birthday successfully, even without Anthony.

Though, my plans got ruined the moment Anthony did in fact answer the door, surprisingly not looking so well for having gained his desired freedom back.