t h i r t y f i v e

Anthony Lawrence

"What took you so long?!" Leah asked clearly annoyed at me, sitting on one of the sofas next to the main entrance of Elias' mansion. There wasn't any remorse or guilt drawn on her face. In fact, she looked completely at ease and sat there like she'd owned this place.

"I couldn't just tell him to drink the whole bottle of champagne and go. It wouldn't have worked." I retorted in the same annoyed tone. Leah didn't regret what we did to Elias, but it didn't mean that I was the same as her. Actually, I felt really sick to my stomach and never in my entire life would I've poisoned a person. But Leah's plan required to do so. Therefore, I didn't have another choice.

"So, you gave him the right bottle?" She asked curiously. "The one I prepared and put into his fridge."

"Yes." I replied monotonously, wanting to just finally leave this place to forget all these sick and crazy people, and to also forget what I've done in order to finally get my old life back.

"That's fantastic." She said satisfied flipping her brown hair over her shoulder and standing up from the sofa. "Did you tell him, that your parents were involved?"

"Yeah, kind of. I don't know if he heard me, because he was already at the verge of unconsciousness." I just answered, not knowing what Leah planned exactly. She forbid me to ask any questions.

"Everything worked out just perfectly!" She exclaimed happily as she stood in front of me. "You're such an angel, Anthony."

She suddenly put her arms tightly around me and started crying out of joy, which made me want to throw up.

"I'll finally get everything I've ever dreamed of, can you believe this?!" She asked me taking a step away from me, wiping her tears away with a tissue one of her guards gave her.

To be honest, I couldn't believe this whole emotional act of hers. She seemed like she always got everything she wanted in life, just like Elias. So, why did she have to make it look like she'd gone through hell.

I had to work so hard for literally every small thing in my life. I could never just say that I wanted something and get it right away. That's not how life works, at least not for normal people.

No matter how much I thought what exactly was Leah's plan, I didn't understand what she wanted to achieve. One day she just came into the medical area and asked if we could talk.

Apparently Elias' family loved her and had enough trust in her to just give her one of the keys to Elias' home so that she could practically come in whenever she wanted to.

She started off with small talk, before she got down to business pretty quickly and asked me if I wanted to work with her on her plan. My role was to just poison Elias after visiting my parents and in return I would get my freedom.
She noticed from the day we first met that I wasn't here by free will.

At first I didn't believe her, because of what she did to me on Elias' wedding or judging from Elias' sudden mood swing as he saw her or everytime he heard someone talking about her. I knew that she was a bad person and therefore also unpredictable.

But on the other hand she was my only potential way out of here. Elias' family loved her for some kind of reason, Jace and her were friends or at least allies and she was quite possessive over Elias and was the only person that could really control him.

If this wasn't a trap, then I could just be free and don't worry about anything and anyone, because Leah would keep anyone from causing me or my friends and family any harm.

I thought many times of escaping by myself but that would have been stupid and would have caused me a lot of unnecessary trouble.

"Before I finally let you free I still have a few questions," Leah told me, which made me roll my eyes. "Maybe we could sit for a sec, I can't stand for so long in those shoes."