f i f t y

Elias Easton

Since Sam's birthday, I had avoided my parents like the plague.

It went so far that I hired people to keep an eye on them to tell me their exact location, so that we wouldn't be able to accidentally cross paths.

I didn't want them to convince me to come back and stay with Leah or to hear any sort of apologies.

They would keep on forcing me to have Leah as my wife till I gave in, only to make our family business more powerful.

They hated Anthony to the very core, although it had been pretty clear to everyone that I had kidnapped him and that everything that was happening, happened against his will. Only Eric and a couple of my bodyguards knew the truth. However, my parents were oblivious and didn't care to ask any sort of questions.

And what they seemed to care about even less was Sam. There was a slight chance of him getting better but he would always in some kind of way stay disabled and never fully recover. Although they haven't mentioned it yet, I was sure that my parents would have tried to talk me into ending his life in a painless, quick and peaceful way, before anyone else could do it.

There was no way in hell, I would ever let that happen.

These were just a few but the most prominent reasons for me to cut all ties with my parents once and for all.

"I was hoping to find you here."

Speaking of the devil.

I quickly glanced at my phone to see if I had missed the message, telling me that my father was now standing only one meter away from me.

"Can't really say the same about you." I retorted dryly, while looking for the number of my head of bodyguards to complain about the fact that they were incapable of fulfilling a simple task.

"You think I didn't notice people following me around and watching my every step. I'm not dumb."

"You killed them?" I asked in disbelief, shocked about the fact that my father would take such measures for the ridiculous reason of seeing me as if there was anything that could be fixed anymore.

"Of course not," he replied. "I chose the easier way. Giving people more money than their current boss is paying them and some nice and long vacations, has never failed to work."

This made me furious. You weren't supposed to let the person you were working for down and side with the person you knew was considered the enemy.

It was even worse than when Kai was given the task to keep an eye on Anthony. Though, the damage would have been bigger by Anthony getting hurt or even killed. But at least I knew he didn't do it on purpose and that it would have been wiser to choose someone that wouldn't be distracted by Eric all night long.

"Well, I was actually about to leave." I told him, placing a bouquet of flowers onto my sister's grave.

Exactly two years ago, Emily died on this day. So, my mood wasn't the best to begin with. I just came and usually stayed for a while. However, with my father being here, I couldn't, which only added to my already bad mood.

I knew that my parents would visit her too, so it has been of even greater importance to get a notification today, once they would be on their way. But I apparently had to more carefully pick my staff next time.

"I actually wanted to talk to you," he said, placing his flowers next to mine on the ground. I was glad to see that Emily was still on his mind because I was pretty sure, his priority was rather to talk to me.