t w e n t y s e v e n

Anthony Lawrence

"You have a rendez-vous tonight," Mason informed me, while I sanitized all the utensils after we did a surgery on one of Elias' men that got injured during a mission.

"With who?" I asked dumbly to which Mason skeptically rose an eyebrow. He signalized me to give him the utensils that I was currently cleaning, so that I had nothing left to do and could go right away. Which wasn't good at all.

"Is this like a rhetorical question that I'm not supposed to answer, because it is so painfully obvious?" Mason laughed.

Mason and a few other doctors I worked with were getting along really good. I would even consider some of them as kind of friends, including Mason. He already worked here since the beginning of his career and surprisingly loved it.

To my surprise, it seemed like I was the only one who complained of being here, but to my defense I was in a completely different situation.

"I can clean up the utensils on my own," I told him and wanted to take them out of his hands, but he refused to give them back to me.

"Didn't you hear me? You have dinner with your hubby tonight, which means that you have to hurry up and get ready," Mason reminded me.

I wanted to roll my eyes and tell him and all the others, that I got kidnapped and that everything happened against my will. But I didn't say anything to avoid more trouble with Elias.

"I don't want you to do all the work." I said, hoping to waste some time before having to meet Elias.

Honestly, I didn't know what this was all about. Since our fight the night of our marriage we stopped talking completely. He thankfully also didn't touch me in any kind of way.

We were like strangers that just shared a bed and nothing more.

And now suddenly he was planning to take me out to eat dinner with him. It didn't make any sense to me.

The more time I was stuck in here with Elias, the more I got scared of how much time I had left until he'd decide to break me. I was already here for nearly two months and we even got married. He wouldn't be patient with me forever and there was no way I could flee this hellhole. Especially now that Elias saw that I wanted to flee during our wedding, he doubled the number of guards around his mansion. I was totally trapped.

"Anthony, do you want me to get killed? Mr. Easton might have patience with you, but not with me. If he finds out that I let you do the work instead of letting you go immediately..." He didn't finish his sentence, but I understood what he meant.

"He's not going to do anything to you," I retorted skeptically.

"It's easy for you to say," Mason laughed. "He's never going to hurt you anyway. For the rest of us, it's a different story."

"What would he do?" I asked hesitantly, actually not wanting to know the answer.

"Sometimes, me and the others, have the feeling that you two are complete strangers. You are often asking questions that you should normally know about your husband." Mason stated, which made me feel uneasy.

I couldn't help but flinch everytime someone called Elias my husband. It sounded so wrong and sick. I thought that I would get used to it, but of course I didn't and also honestly didn't want to.

"Just forget about it," I laughed to hide my nervousness. I didn't want to know what bad things Elias did in his life anyway. It would probably only make me vomit. Judging from Mason's reaction, he probably wasn't as harmless as it always seemed to me.