uno.

The first time Stiles saw her, he broke a vending machine.

It was a pinnacle moment - not their meeting, but the fact that Stiles Stilinski was so adamant to get a packet of Reese's that he somehow managed to result in a vending machine toppling over and smashing into the linoleum hospital floor.

She had been standing by the side, her thoughts reflecting the boy in front of her's: food.

Hence, she had huffed and patiently waited for the pale, geeky boy she had seen around the Scott boy. However, she knew Stiles Stilinski better from the fact that he frequented the same arcade/comic book shop that she was always seen at.

He just probably never properly saw her.

Like right now, the boy so determined to get his chocolate that he now had his arms around the machine and was attempting to lift it up. This spiked amusement for the other person at the scene, her, opting to cross her arms and lean against the wall, waiting to see what the result would be. He gave up and took a step back. She heard the muttering before he ran forward and began shaking it.

Then it fell forward and Stiles moved out of the way before it smashed on the ground. As he quickly looked around to see if anyone saw, he finally noted her standing there.

"I, er, uh." He stammered, blush rising at getting caught.

"I guess I'm not going to get any chips then." She quipped.

"I... uh." He gulped, taking in the dark clothes and hood of the girl stood there. It was like a scene from the movie; the dark mysterious figure acting all cool and dark and mysterious, watching the other awkward person fumble around. He would've made a remark had he not realised who was standing in front of him—

And had Lydia not begun screaming.

She didn't even blink as Stiles Stilinski dashed away, heading straight for Martin's room. She sighed and moved to right the vending machine. It didn't take much effort to lift it back up, only needing some manipulation. "Violeta... Violeta?" Hearing her name, she opted to just pocket a few Reese's and drop the vending machine back down. It was bring up less questions that way.

"Coming abuela." Violeta said, pulling the hood down now that her grandmother was awake. She didn't like seeing her nieta with the hood, it "take away from your face" as abuela would say in accented English as she would stroke Violeta's cheek. Walking into the room, she saw her grandma by the bed, now awake from her nap. Violeta wondered if the vending machine had woken her up.

"Que fue ese ruido?" Her grandma asked, confirming her suspicion as she asked about the noise.

"Nada." Violeta responded. "It was nothing." Her grandma nodded and moved to sit upright. "I promise."

"You lie."

"Stiles Stilinski broke a vending machine trying to get chocolate." Violeta explained. The grandma made an 'aaah' sound, knowing exactly who Stiles Stilinski was. He was the odd boy abuela Maria had seen Violeta staring at. Of course, her dear Violeta was quiet and the silly girl always dressed like her brother, wearing clothes like those rap boys she listens to! But Stiles, he a nice boy. A boy Violeta don't speak to, but a nice boy.

"You talk to him." Abuela said, a question that came out as a statement.

"I did."

"And he say?"

"Nothing?"

"Why?"

"He loves Lydia Martin."

"Martin is smart girl who act stupid." Abuela said with such authority that you couldn't disagree. "I teach her Spanish when she was younger. Very bright girl." She coughed and Violeta was quick to bring a glass of water to her grandma's side. Her grandma dismissed it and Violeta sighed, opting to just place it on the bedside table, well within her grandma's reach. "That group very young but have big responsibility."

"Lydia was bitten." Violeta said. "I saw it. The alpha bit her."

It was then that a scream was heard from the open window at the far side of Abuela's hospital room. Both grandmother and granddaughter could see the outline of the forest trees against the night sky and the distinct screaming that was coming from within the darkness.

"Ah, she no werewolf."

"What is she?" Violeta asked.

"You must know this by now." Abuela said, bringing Violeta's hands into her own. "Think of your studies and think of what happened."

"There was screaming." Violeta said.

"Listen to the screaming. It is a special scream."

"You don't think she's..." Violeta stopped, recalling the word for that supernatural creature.

"It is better to have a suspicion than to have no idea." Her abuela said. "Like I say before, that group very young but have big responsibility."

"Scott's handling being a werewolf well." Violeta informed. "I also think Derek is going to build a pack now that he is alpha."

"Good."

"Good?" Violeta frowned. "How is this good? It just means that there are more creatures we need to look out for."

"Which is good. That is our duty, my dear nieta." Abuela closed her eyes and laid back down in her seat. "But I say good because now you are starting to think. It's good." Violeta said nothing. "Go home. You need to sleep for school." Abuela said.

"I was gonna sleep here."

"I no asking you. I telling you." Violeta laughed at the words, kissed her grandma's forehead and pulled up her hoodie as she closed the hospital room's door. She nodded at Melissa McCall who no longer freaked out when she saw her.

It had only taken Violeta coming in every day for three weeks before Melissa realised that she wasn't like the street thugs who hung out the tattoo parlour and were constantly smoking. Violeta knew those people, yes. Violeta had relatives who were amongst those people, yes. Violeta was not like that, eh debatable.

Her shoes squeaked against the wet-from-rain cement as she dug her hands into the pockets of the puffy jacket she had on top. She might as well belong in a rap music video with her Adidas track pants, NWA hoodie, oversized puff jacket and Nike sneakers. She saw the blue Jeep halt and then Allison Argent run in. Violeta's eyes met with Stiles and the boy looked at her. It was at this moment that Violeta decided was the best time to pull out a packet of Reese's and unwrap the chocolate to pop one in her mouth. Stiles blinked and Violeta smirked before beginning her walk to the cemetery.

There, as suspected, she found Isaac in his zone, using a fork-lift to dig out the hole for Kate Argent's body, Violeta finished her chocolate and pulled out another packet. Isaac stopped and pulled out an earphone upon seeing her.

"Uh, hey." He greeted very awkwardly. Violeta gave a small smile that came out more as a grimace. Unlike Melissa McCall, Isaac hadn't come to full 'comfort' in being around her. She wondered if that was because Isaac knew her relatives or if it was because of his own. She saw the fresh bruise above his eye but said nothing of it.

"Bought you something." She said, pulling out the orange packet. She waved it for a bit before lugging it over to him. He caught with expertise, part of being in the lacrosse team.

"You didn't need to." He said

She shrugged, "I didn't pay for it." Isaac then paused and Violeta wanted to roll her eyes but went against it. She had technically stolen it so she couldn't get mad that Isaac had immediately assumed that. There was a reputation and there was an impression. Despite how she had never made an effort to prove both wrong, she still wished neither existed.

She didn't say anything else as she moved to the tombstone. It was clean, her having had just properly washed it a few days ago. She bowed her head and brought the rosary beads from around her neck forward to send a swift prayer. She touched the images of her parents.

Her phone buzzed from her pocket. She pulled it out to see a message from her Aunt Tomei. She sighed and pocketed it back. If it had been anyone but Aunt Tomei put as the guardian responsible for Violeta... let's just say they were both lucky since Violeta actually liked this aunt and Aunt Tomei was lucky that Violeta liked her enough to somewhat listen and respect her.

Like right now, the rarity of when Violeta Rodriguez actually went home to sleep.