James Imagine: Song imagine

Protocol

James' POV

Name: Poppy

I remember the evenin' you said you were leavin'

That's when I knew I had lostNo room for forgivenessSuitcase, frames, pictures, placed in the back of your car

When me and Poppy broke up, I was heartbroken, I lost the love of my life. I ruined it to be honest. I was on tour, in the studio, out with the lads, driving. I never spend much time with Poppy. God, I wish I did. I love her but I became so selfish with my own fun that I forgot my fun is with Poppy too. I ruined it. I ruin all relationships and that's what is fucking shit about me. 

I won't tell my parents

How I fucked up perfectionAnd selfishly put myself firstA future of stories, kiss you good morningsGone and it's what I deserve

I can't tell mum, dad, Sophie what I did. They'd be angry with me which is only fair. I ruined my life, didn't I? I put myself first which I promised I'd never do after my old relationship. I deserve it, that she left me. She'll find someone better, someone who puts her firsts. I never did.... well I did but slowly I didn't. She stuck around for 4 years off that shit. She is a saint.

I can't find the words to say

When someone asks how you've beenI don't know the protocol for fixin' a, fixin' a broken heart

When I meet a friend, they ask how you have been. I can't tell me we're broken up. I mean, what do I say. So instead I say 'She's good, she's working today.' What's the protocol for fixing a broken heart? I'd love to know. I should ask someone but then they'd know. So, what is the protocol? Drink, random girls, work? What is it?

When my friends hear the rumoursThey'll tell me they knew thatYou were bad news from the startEvery bar they take meTo try to matchmake meWith someone who doesn't come close, no

When the boys hear the rumours about us been over, they tell me you were bad news. They take me to bars, they find girls. They let me meet them and god, their not you. I chat with them to not be rude but it doesn't go further than a chat. I can't move on with someone who doesn't come close to you, Poppy. I just can't even if you've moved on.

You won't tell your mother 'cause she'll tell your father

And that's just one more broken heart (One more broken heart)A future of stories, adventures, and journeysOn fire and falling apart

I know she won't tell her mother because she will just tell her dad. Me and her father got along like a house on fire. I can't break his heart too. The future is on fire, it's falling apart. We were meant to go on this adventure in two months but of course it's finished, not going ahead. I guess that's what happens when you break up badly. 

I can't find the words to say

Someone asks how you've beenDon't know the protocol for fixin' a, fixin' a broken heartCall your answerphoneHope that you're not at homeDon't know the protocol for fixin' a, fixin' a broken heart

People still ask, I can't say anything. I still don't know the protocol and it's 4 months later. I call your answerphone but I wish you're not home. I don't want to be desperate. I don't want to be selfish and hold you back from someone who could love you more than me.

When I'm all by myself and the drink doesn't help

Take 'em down from the shelfAnd I'm reminded I keep fighting walls in my headWith the miles of regret, 'cause I had every letter, but now

It's funny I drink by myself and the drink doesn't help me. I take more from the shelf and drink. You know what I am doing in my head, Poppy? I'm fighting walls. I'm punching, kicking, screaming. I'm breaking down. While my friends are happy I'm heartbroken. Nothing they do can help me. 

I can't find the words to say

When someone asks how you've beenDon't know the protocol for fixin' a, fixin' a broken heartCall your answerphoneHope that you're not at homeDon't know the protocol for fixin' a, fixin' a broken heart(Fixin' a, fixin' a broken heart)

It takes a while, it takes 2 years but I finally move on. I finally get my life back on track. I wrote a song called 'Protocol' for Poppy, for me, for a shitty breakup. This song is for the people who went through something similar to me. Don't do what I did, cherish the fuck out of your girlfriend/wife. 

This is the most heartbreaking song ever. 

I hope you enjoyed!

Lorna xx