Time Moves Too Quickly

Author's Note:

I'm baaaaack! 

Seriously though. It's hard to pick up a story after 4 years and keep writing, especially when my writing and the care I give it has grown and changed so much. 

I wrote 10 chapters of a book (my own story!) in high school and barely glanced at it after graduating. I would have to rewrite so much to continue and it's disheartening because I don't even have time to draw. 

A part of me does not want to continue these old stories because I have so many fresher ideas that aren't in need of such heavy editing (but will have more careful attention to cannon story lines).

As this story is close to completion though, I have been sure to come back.

______________________________________

You'd think he would grow used to the destruction and death, but he never does

Perhaps that's why the darkness within himself that occasionally pushes at his conscious mind is kept at bay. 

He cannot accept the atrocities around him, no matter how frequently they occur. His eyes, deep in color and with emotion like unexplored depths, survey the scene around him. There's fire and stone. Flesh and rot. Salt and copper.

The enemy is also startlingly human. Unlike all his battles before there is not one monster with talents and scales to turn to dust. Know that the one you're striking down will not have an eventual resurrection in a few hundred years is sobering.

Percy remains out of sight with Ginny, eyes assessing and mind whirling as long as he can spare. That fact that his body throbs from the two curses he recently took is a mild inconvenience. (Don't give him that look. It is.)

He searches out for familiar faces. Tonks and Lupin have rejoined the battle after a nasty call earlier. They look worn but determined and Percy immediately moves on, feeling they can take care of themselves. It's the same with every familiar face. They may be beaten up to some degree but they're holding their own, slowly pushing back the death eaters. 

The thick of the battle seems to have shifted though as the Golden Trio and many of the more headstrong fighters are nowhere to be seen. His mother and the others she'd been working beside in the defensive line they'd established aren't present. Voldemort certainly isn't within sight either.

The demigod turns to look at the Ginger beside him. He wants to write out his question, but he fears the golden loops and turns of his letters acting as a flare for unsavory attention. 

Ginny meets his eyes and he jerks his chin and the direction she had drug him from. Her eyebrows scrunch, unfamiliar with Percy's silent way of speech and not sure quite what he wants to know at first. 

He glances at himself, then her, then where Bellatrix had been, and back to himself, where is hand is quite obviously still shaking around his thrifted wand.