Waiting for the Verdict with Paul

It's an early morning. Snape is the only one who doesn't seem to be fighting to stay awake, although he's even more grumpy than normal. The trip to the Ministry is swift, a little to swift for an anxious demiwizard.

However shortly after the arrival the Ministry decides Percy can wait outside if he wants due to his literal lack of voice. As much as that irritates him, he takes the offer and goes to wait by the elevator with Paul. Snape's representing Percy and hopefully will doing most of the talking. Percy loves him more than anything (well maybe not Annabeth), but even he has to admit that she's a bit overprotective.

Paul stares around wide eyed. To him this entire world is strange, like something out of a movie. He admits that while it didn't take much for him to believe Sally about his whole thing, he didn't actually think that the witches and wizards would live in a midevil castle with floating candles and wear robes with pointy hats.

"It's a bit overdone, don't you think," he says without turning away from the hordes of people bustling about. When he does't hear a response he turns to look questioningly at his stepson before he remembers. Percy can't speak.

The son of Poseidon gives him a sad, knowing smile and shrugs his shoulders. He reaches into the folds of his school cloak and pulls out the wand Snape gave him. Hermione's been teaching him a lot of spells since his run in with Voldemort. With a slight flick of his wrist he begins writing in the air, golden Greek letters flowing from the tip of his wand.

'You get used to it rather quickly.'

"Oh," He utters staring in awe at the letters even as they fade. "How long does it normally take?"

Percy smiles widely. 'Come one Paul, you know me. You're used to the strange and abnormal. I thought you would have already adjusted.'

Paul chuckles. "Yeah well, I think I'm still getting used to gods popping out of nowhere."

'They only started doing that so often after the giant war. For some reason they think we're best friends now or something.Heck I'm still getting used to it.'

Paul laughs quietly crossing his arms. "Anyway my point is that the Greek world is embedded in the modern world. This something completely seperate. It feels like I've been transported to a different universe. It's a bit harder to rap my head around. "

Percy laughs, a quiet one that leaves an ache in Paul's chest. In his head he can hear the cheary echo of that laugh, one that he thought would always follow the teen around, but not any more.

He wants to say more, to continure the lighthearted conversation, but just then the door swings open and a very fluster Sally emerges beside an ever calm Dumbledore. The corner of the old wizard's mouth twiches up at seeing the pair.

"Well Perseus, things seem to have turned for the worst I'm afraid."

The demigod frowns and Paul voices his thoughts. "So he's getting kicked out?"

The headmaster chuckles. "Quite the oppisite really. Percy will be finishing out his schooling and will be officially sorted like all the other students as well. However that is not the bad news that I speak of. Percy, they believe that you disapline and that only one person can truly give you that. So your mother will be teaching at Hogwarts, active tomorrow."

It's very surprising to say the least, that Percy's jaw can truly drop that far. He turns to look at his mom, who only sighs and gives him a what-can-you-do smile. The fact that she doesn't rebute the statement, sends shivers down Percy's spine. He loves his mom, he really does, but the idea of her teaching at his school, hovering over his shoulder when he's truly at his weakest, truly scares him.

- O - O - O - O - O -

The first week with Sally is not the climatic explosion Percy is expecting. Most of the kids have calmly accepted the arrival of the new muggle studies professor and Sally is great at keeping Percy and Umbridge as far away from each other as possible.

But while Percy has once again fallen into a comfortable routine, his recent hardships not forgotten but overcome, Sally herself stews in worry. She fears Voldemort's return and her son's lack of speech. While things are nice at Hogwarts now, all good things must come to end just as what goes up must come down. The better they get, they harder they'll crash and burn.

She wonders the halls at night thinking to herself about it and often IMs Paul at the most impractical of times (thank the gods for the mist). Whenever she gets alone with Percy she coddles him like there's no tomorrow and makes him promise things she knows he can't really keep, because for all she knows they might not get another day together. Oh how many times has she worried that and it almost come true? On more than a few occasions she finds herself staring at the picture of her, Lilly, and James. 

See she was never close with the couple or any of their friends, but it she often found herself sitting with them after classes or cheering with Lily during Quidditch matches. Chances she had to glimpse them during the times they weren't perfect and finding she like them even more then.

But Voldemort ruined all of that. She fears he's come back now only to take away someone much closer to her. 

However this time she will be ready. This time she is't powerless. She has a wand, has magic and there is nothing more terrifying than a mother witch.

----------

A/N sorry it's so short and I haven't updated! D: Senior year is a full time job, plus overtime. I'm going to try to be a better person though and get you your stories!