Mr. Noseless

Harry and Ron are sitting at a table somewhere near the middle of the large maze that is the library. They look up as Hermione and Percy approach, brows furrowing with slight looks of annoyance.

"What's he doing here?" Ron scoffs.

Percy frowns. "Has everyone here decided they don't like me already? I mean, come on. I haven't even blown anything or said anything yet." They all give him startled looks and he shrugs. He doesn't quite know why he thought this would be a good idea. "It happens more than I care to count."

Harry sizes Percy up. He stands tall and has this quiet air of authority about him, which doesn't really match with his carefree attitude and look. His tie and sweater are who-knows-where and his shirt is unbottened at the top. The robes he's meant to wear during class hours is slung carelessly over one arm. His hands are shoved in his pockets. Finally Harry says. "It's because you're in Slytherin. Most everyone is Slytherin are-"

"Full of themselves? Jerks and bullies? Yeah I noticed," Percy cuts in with a frown. 

Once again they all stare at him, slightly surprised. Ron's look of dislike seems to diminish somewhat.

"It's strange to see someone start during the middle of the year and we didn't see you sorted." Hermione states, the accusation clear in her voice. 

'Oh no. We're back to the questions.' Percy thinks. He's lucky Dumbledore was kind enough to give him a fill-in of everything he should know during their conversation. "Yeah well I didn't find out that my mom is a wizard until recently. We did the sorting in private since it would be such a big production doing it in front of everyone."

"You're from America," Ron says, still staring.

Percy shifts from one foot to the other. "Uh yeah. My mom moved their before I was born."

Hermione opens her mouth to ask something else, but Harry stops her. "Come on guys, he just got here. He doesn't have to spill his life story."

Percy shoots Harry a grateful look as they all sit down. The guy looks a little wimpy and maybe slightly nerdy, but his friends seem to respect him. Percy can see why. Harry has this quiet calm about him, a good trait to have. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The trio reads for a little bit and Percy drums his fingers in boredom. He tries to make out the titles of certain books, but his discomfort makes his dyslexia flare up. Harry, Ron and Hermione have barely spared him more than a glance since they settled down over an hour ago and it's killing him.

"Soooo," he drawls. "Since I just found out I'm a wizard and all, I'm kind of out of the loop."

Harry glances up. "What would you like to know?"

"Everything," Percy says with a huff. "My mom and Dumbledore told me nothing. What does everyone do for fun? Who hates who, you know besides everyone hating Draco? Why everyone here is so on edge? ... What's wrong?"

Ron and Harry gape out him, like fish out water. 

"You don't know about you-know-who?!" Ron says so loud, the librarian from several rows over shushes them.

"Um I'm going to go with no." Percy says, with a lowered voice.

While the boys are surprised, Hermione is not. If he didn't know about being a wizard and nobody really told him anything he wouldn't know about Voldemort within only a day or so. After all people won't even say his name, let alone carry on a conversation about him with the new guy. She does marvel at Percy's ability to pick up on the school's tension.