The Days After

"You can't stay here."

Jason seemed to deflate at hearing this and Annabeth only glowered. Nico didn't really do anything. Dumbledore sat his desk, his arms crossed in front of him.

"And why the Hades not?" the daughter of Athena demanded. "We should at least be able to wait until Percy heals and go back together."

Dumbledore sighs. This is the part of the conversation he's been dreading. "Percy will not be going back. He may be a demigod, but he is also a wizard. The Ministry is already aware of his existence, especially since he's been targeted by Voldemort. It would create more problems than it would solve if he were to disappear suddenly. On the other hand you can't stay or the other students will become aware of your existence and that would complicate Mr. Jackson's stay even more."

Annabeth growls low in her throat. "Why should we trust Percy with you? He was taken right out the very building all of these so-called powerful wizards are living. He's not safe here."

"I assure you that we've enhanced our security. Something like that will not happen again." The headmaster says in a calm voice. 

Annabeth glares a little longer, before sighing and letting her head drop in defeat. Then she looks up again. "Fine, but you will notify me of everything little thing that happens regarding Percy or this school."

Dumbledore nods in agreement and Jason heaves a big, sad sigh. When everyone turns to look at him he says, "What? I was hoping we'd get to stay. All this wizard stuff is pretty cool."

Nico shakes his head and flicks the blonde on the back of his head. "You're like a little kid, Grace." 

Jason shrugs, obviously not offended. The three grudgingly bid their goodbyes and head back to the infirmary to update Percy and say their farewells. It should be a depressing time, but Percy is able to keep the atmosphere light even without speaking.

- O - O - O - O - O - 

It's a long four days before Percy is release from the infirmary. During that time Harry, Hermione, and the Weasley brothers visit often. The twins constantly bring odd gadgets for Percy to play with. However despite everyone's best efforts to keep him occupied, he is nearly jumping for joy when Madame Pomfrey says he can go. She makes him promise to come back tomorrow for a check up.

He's still tired despite all the extra sleep he's gotten and more than a little sore. He has a new collection of scars though thankfully Madame Pomfrey gave him a paste that will eventually fade even the largest of scars. His arm is on the mend and hopefully will be usable by tomorrow night. Well at least it will be out of the sling and mobile. He still won't be allowed to use it. 

Unfortunately the first class he has after being released is Defence Against the Dark Arts. With Professor Umbridge. He was able to get out of his previous detention with her because he was a bit... tied up with something else.

He takes the spot next to Ron. Hermione and Harry sit together. He's really glad that Slytherin and Gryffindor have this class together too. Percy's pretty sure that if they didn't, he would have no one to keep him from doing something stupid and getting in trouble. As it is things still go wrong very quickly.

For most of the class Umbridge just talks. She mostly just states her principals or rather what she assures is the Ministry's principals. It's rather annoying, but Percy manages "to keep his mouth shut" so to speak. (A/N gods, I promise I'm trying to be punny) Hermione and Harry seem to be having similar problems, especially the brunette. However towards the end of the lesson Umbridge changes pace. She starts asking students about the passages they had to read two nights ago.

Everyone was smart enough to do the assignment. After all no one wants to cross the Pink Toad. She knows that Percy has been bedridden and that he was under strict orders not to do anything. He was especially happy when that included homework. Pomfrey wanted him in an entirely stress free environment. She's also aware, as all of the faculty were notified, that Percy cannot speak or do anything vocal.

Yet she calls on him, asking how he would counter a certain spell, one that Percy is familiar with only because it was used on him days before. The whole class turns to look at him. Besides his friends, none of them no what happened to him. They only know that it put him in the infirmary for a while. 

Percy's eyebrows furrow and he frowns deeply. He doesn't know the answer and he opens his mouth to explain that to her, but as is to be expected no sound comes out. He grimaces and crosses his arms on his desk, looking away with a slight blush to his cheeks. He hates not being able to say anything.

"Well Mr. Jackson? We're waiting," Umbridge says with a impatient tilt to her head. A twisted grin threatens to pull at her lips, but she resists it.

The demiwizard turns to glare at her slightly. She knows and she's purposefully toying with him. 

"He can't-" Ron starts, but the Toad clears her throat, interrupting him.

Harry's hand shoots into the air. She waits a second before turning to look at him. "Percy can't speak Professor."

"And why is that?" Umbridge retorts and Percy tenses. He can practically feel her condescending tone. 

"Well... that is..he-" Harry tries. He plainly remembers the last time he brought up Voldemort's name and he has the distinct feeling that if he says it was him then both he and Percy would be punished. That she would claim once again that the Dark Lord is in fact not back and that Percy is only pretending.

His desire to keep his friend from trouble, however, is dashed as Percy stomps furiously up to the board and begins to write in sloppy, dyslexic handwriting. He steps back when he is done and glares hatefully at the professor. Harry's chest swells a little with pride for his friend. Percy is definitely one of the bravest people he knows. Everyone stares in shock at the words spelled out for them.

I was kidnapped and tortured by a man you say doesn't exist anymore, Voldemort! His lackey Bellatrix stole my voice because I wouldn't shut up and play victom!

Hermione looks proud that he only spelled victim wrong and Ron looks fearful that his best friend just signed the permission slip for his own execution. Honestly Percy thinks he did too, but he won't erase the words or apologize. He's heard this woman's rants during dinner and the other students talk about what she deems detention. Even Dumbledore seems to dislike her a lot and the old headmaster is almost as kind as Chiron. 

Umbridge's face turns bright red as she reads it. She storms right up and points her finger right in Percy's face. He doesn't back down and simply glares back. Her beady little finger shakes with her humiliation. "Mr. Jackson, I will not tolerate lies in my classroom! You may have the other professors fooled, but not me! I will see you and Mr. Potter in my office after class, do you hear me?!"

He stares at her for a second longer, before slowly shaking his head. A cocky grin slips onto his face and he stuffs his hands in his pockets, shrugging his shoulders as he does. Percy's suddenly carefree attitude causes the class to laugh and the Toad to take a step back, looking as if someone just informed her that her sweater isn't as cute as she thinks it is.

Then the black haired teen spins on his heal and strides past the desk to the door. He turns back once before leaving. The class sits in stunned silence before Ron, of all people, gets up and follows. Slowly one by one, two by two, the students get up and leave. Hermione, Harry and surprisingly Draco are some are the first to go. 

All the while, Umbridge simply watches in shock, mouth gaping open like a fish's. Who knew someone who can't say anything, could say so much through a simple grin and tilt of his shoulders.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N 

I'm quite proud of this chapter. It was actually very fun to write and I love love love to make fun of Umbridge. Don't worry I'm not done with the other demigods. In fact I might expose Percy to the wizards soon. :)

Please vote, comment and follow. Then read my other stories. They're all PJO fanfics. <3