Percy Finally Sorted!

Percy is going to be sorted.

It's all the students can talk about. They had thought that he had been sorted in the privacy of Dumbledore's office due to arriving part way through the school year. That's what the rumors had been, but according to Sally, who calmly explained things to one of her classes since Percy couldn't, Percy had only been temporarily put into Slytherin until formalities could be addressed.

Percy, for his part, seems entirely unconcerned. He's spent a great deal more time with the Gryffindor, the kids in his house have begun to accept him after the Toad Incident (so it's been dubbed), and he's even begun to chat with people from the last two houses even if only a little. He's ruled out Ravenclaw as a possibility. 

So nearly three weeks after the visit to the Ministry Percy finds himself slowly approaching a three legged  stool by himself. 

The hall is silent, as silent as he's been forced to be since the lost of his ability to speak. Every eye is focused on him, his steady steps, his confident set of jaw, the tiny upward tilt to his lips, and messy, windswept hair.  He doesn't rush or stumble. There's absolutely no indication that he's nervous or intimidated by all the attention.

And that's because he isn't. Percy Jackson has been forced to lead two wars and many more campfire songs. The only thing that makes him particularly nervous is giving an English presentation on book he didn't even knew existed until that very moment (which used to happen at least once week at Goode) and having to tell his mom he let some random monster destroy a perfectly good pair of jeans again. 

He perches on the edge of the stool, sending a relaxed smirk in the direction of the Golden Trio. Hermione just rolls her eyes, but both boys laugh. Mcgonagall carefully lowers the moth eaten folds that just barely passes for a hat. Everyone leans forward to watch and Percy's eyes flick up in an attempt to see it. 

After a few long minutes a voice echoes quietly, but deeply in the demiwizard's head. 'Ah, it has been a very long time since I have seen a child of the gods and I never expected one of you have wizard blood as well. Powerful, very powerful indeed. Now as for your house, it seems I have quite the challenge before me.'

'What do you mean?' Percy thinks back. The hat seems to chuckle and Percy feels bubbles of excitement rise in his chest. He can talk to it, something he hasn't been able to properly do. It's still not the same as speaking, but it's a very close second.

'You are very unique man.You have many rather dominant traits and could fall quite nicely into any one of the house.' Again the hat chuckles. 'Yes, that includes Ravenclaw. While you are not intelligent in the way most are, you are in the ways that count. Your expertise is the more unconventional fields.'

'Oh.'

The hat ignores his surprise and continues. 'You also cunning in the same way, making you a fit for Slytherin. Not only that but you have the same darkness simmering in you that they often have. Still you are brave and a strong leader, ideal for the Gryffindor. And we cannot forget the strength of your kindness and loyalty, the strongest I have ever seen in fact. Without a doubt Hufflepuff worthy. Yes I have quite the challenge at hand.'

After that it goes silent and Percy gets the feeling it's sifting deeper into his memories. Slowly Percy's muscles coil tightly. He can sense the hat's presence as it examines his memories of Tarturaus, his time with Voldemort, the Mt. St. Helens incident, and lastly the moment on Olympus when he made the decision to pass Luke the knife that ended his life. That had perhaps been the most painful. It would have been better if Luke hadn't done the 'right' thing, if Percy hadn't just given his almost-friend the knife that was to take his life.

'Yes, I've decided. It shall be..' "Hufflepuff!" The hat's voice echoes across the hall. 

For a moment everything is quiet and then quite suddenly the Hufflepuff table erupts in cheers. Slowly the other tables begin to clap, though many people look stunned. It's not hard to guess that most of them imagined Percy in Gryffindor. Sally looks extremely please that her son is in the same house she had been in during her years here.

Percy for his part just sighs. "But I look horrible in yellow."

- O - O - O - O - O - 

He greets them like old friends, blending into their ranks with a smile and making them laugh often. But he's still different and perhaps this a problem the sorting hat didn't address.  He stands out from them as much as they get along. Those very same traits that could have put him a different house set him apart. He's a leader naturally, cunning, intelligent where it counts, and brave. As a few more weeks pass, the teachers notice that his house trails after him every chance they get, turn to him for advice even when they don't necessarily need, and even begin to change to fit his habits.

They've become a bit more assertive, not as timid as they were. Their loyalty and kindness stops becoming such a push over trait, but one that makes them agreeable to other houses. Slowly they change, just as the Slytherin had started to with Percy. It's slight and barely noticeable to most, but it gradually changes the way the school seems to work.

You might even say that, it unifies them just a little bit more.

-----------

A/N Yay finallly updated. Again it's short, but there wasn't anything more I needed to put in this chapter. Yes the last little part could have been longer, but I wanted it to be a bit suspenseful and foreshadowing, just in a good way :)

Anyway I hope you enjoyed. Please vote, comment, and follow me if you aren't aleady.

❤️