Time Moves Quickly

As the planning is in full swing, everyone pulling together in order to defend the world they love and where many of them have grown up, Percy sees Dumbledore pull the Golden Trio aside. Whatever he tells them seems to really frustrate them. Harry gestures widely, whisper yelling at his old mentor. He steps back after a time, his hands on his head, pulling at his hair as he tries to calm down. Hermione then moves, seeking an explanation, but even she seems overwhelmed. Ron looks close to leaving.

After nearly ten more minutes the group does in fact leave, shooting Percy and a few others an apologetic look as they go. Dumbledore moves over to where Percy stands in the center of the room next to the battle plans. He puts his wand to his neck and shouts for their attention. The room falls silent.

He makes the announcement that they're shifting operation to the large dining hall so the other houses may join them. Further instructions will be given then. He puts his arm on Percy's shoulder and nudges him out of the room ahead of the crowd. They take a less crowded route to the dining hall. 

"Percy, my boy," Dumbledore begins. 

Percy shoots him a look. He wonders how this one sided conversation is meant to go. Will the headmaster ask him to step back? To relinquish the role of improvised leader to an adult? The wizard world certainly likes to stick to the mortal principals of adults doing everything. The demigod certainly does not agree with it. 

"I'm going to assign you a somewhat larger last force to lead." Well he wasn't expecting that. "You'll be in charge of fighting without being seen. Move discreetly amongst everyone and set specific targets. You'll take an offensive approach."

'Why?' The golden scrip appears and fades quickly, portraying the younger man's surprise. 

Dumbledore smiles slightly, a sad little twist of his lips. "I can't keep you out of this as much as your mother has insisted. Hopefully this way you can stay out of the immediate line of fire and also prove a valuable asset. But my boy, I'm really going to need you to stay hidden. Voldemort will target you."

----------------------

If Percy did as Dumbledore asked perhaps he wouldn't be in this situation now.

 The battle had been on them quickly, the return of the golden trio abrupt and overlooked to an extent, at least by Percy. He had moved out with his task force, choosing to slip behind the incoming arm and sitting quietly for nearly a whole hour and a half before jumping in and eliminating some of the stronger wizards. They then pulled back, diving into the force and circling around to the castle. He had them aid wizards in the main battle, half drawing back once again. 

He had decided on abrupt and isolate movements. At first it didn't immediately have an effect, but slowly the battle was turned in their favor. Percy's task force quickly became credited with last minute saves, perhaps because the man himself was driven so strongly by the need to protect. One of the upper years under his command had stopped an explosion to the side of the building that could have gravely injured the Weasley brothers. Percy himself was responsible for saving more than a few of the Order members. 

He found himself  standing next to Dumbledore at one point, who stood haggard and pale amongst some of the other professors.  The man had quickly tucked one of his hands out of sight, but Percy was too preoccupied to pay it much mind. 

He lifted his want, the gold flowing effortlessly from the tip. 

'The battle wasn't mean to happen this quickly.' The headmasters eyebrows quirk up. 'They had probably another year or so before things reached this point, didn't they?!'

At the slight nod from the headmaster who does seem inclined to speak at the moment, Percy continues. 

'It's because he met me, isn't it? Because he wants to get back at me for escaping.'

"I did not think it a good idea to tell you," the headmaster admits. "But yes, Voldemort came here today in part to find you."

Percy glares slightly before rushing off again, barking orders as he goes. He doesn't see the headmaster eye his blackened hand nor does he see the man utter a sad sigh. "It seems everything has happened much more quickly. At least you have given more people the chance to survive this war."

It would be long after the war that Percy would learn the hard truth about the horcruxes and what happened to Dumbledore after the battle and about his sudden disappearance. It seems the old man had known what the outcome would be without Percy there and that he saw the demigod as a sort of blessing. The demigod would always believe he could have done more that is just in his nature, isn't it? 

It's when Percy charges straight into the battle in order to block a blow to Ron's little sister that things go downhill. He was not meant to be seen, too inconspicuous in this battle. Yet, he plunged ahead, stopping none other than Bellatrix's spell. 

"There you are!" she cries happily. 

He's gotten better at wand work, able to lash out with spells quickly and effectively unlike most everyone else with his limited experience, but he's still barely keeping up with his year. Blocking her initial spell leaves him vulnerable to her next and the curse hits him like a ton of bricks. 

He drops to the ground, gasping and writhing as the darker energy wraps around him mercilessly. He bloods pounds in his ears and heavy bolts of pain shoot through his body and Bellatrix holds the spell. 

Somewhere in the back of his head, the part that is used to pain after years of fighting in traumatic wars for pompous gods, he hears Ginny curse and stop trying to cast spells in his defense. It seems their roles have quickly reversed. She's pulling him back now and, while he can barely make out sound and certainly can't see more than colors through the haze of pain, he tries to help. He kicks his leg out against the ground and holds tightly to the arm wrapped around his chest. 

It's another minute before the curse abruptly snaps and he's left gasping, laying limply in Ginny's arms.

He gazes around, his battle instincts pushing him to immediately assess his situation. They're leaning against a burnt wall, the battle loudly raging several meters on the other side. However instead of moving closer to the inner castle where the friendlier faces may be found, they're barely concealed amongst the enemy. 

He tries to quiet his harsh breathing and press back against the wall.

"I tried to get us back towards my mum, but the way was blocked," Ginny explains, hand on his shoulder and eyes heavily troubled. "They protected us and I managed to find a opening."

He nods his understanding. He shifts into a semi sitting position, leaning against the wall this time. He looks over at the younger witch and grins wickedly. 'I'm supposing you don't want me to mention to your brother your choice language these days. I didn't even know someone like you would know words like that!'

Her eyes narrow, hand cutting through the golden script quickly.