A Sour Side

One morning at breakfast, Luna had gotten to the Great Hall before any of her Gryffindor friends so had decided to just sit at the Ravenclaw table for a change and wait.  Neville came running up to her and sat down beside her, breathless.

            “What is it, Neville?” Luna inquired, nervous.

            “Oh, you’ll never believe it!  Last night, Umbridge tried to ambush Hagrid but he got away but McGonagall was stunned in the chest by four wands at once but I think she’s going to be okay but I don’t know but now Hagrid’s gone and—”

            “Slow down, please, Neville.  You’re getting a bit worked up.”

            He took a deep breath.  “It’s just all so crazy!  Umbridge is taking over everything!  Who knows what she’ll do next…”

            That afternoon, Luna was in Transfiguration with a substitute when she heard yelling out in the corridor.  She looked behind her to Ginny who looked back and mouthed the word, “Harry.

                Luna raised her hand.  “Professor Hollindod?  May Ginny and I go and see what is going on outside?  It sounds something is wrong with our friend.  May we go and see if he is okay?”

                “Oh-er-why yes you may, dear.  But do hurry back soon, now,” the professor stammered out.

                Luna and Ginny immediately jumped from their seats and Ginny led the way out, Luna sauntering behind her.  And it was indeed Harry outside accompanied by Ron and Hermione, of course.

                “—DIFFERENT IF HE KNEW WHAT I’D JUST—” Harry was shouting at his friends but stopped midsentence at the sight of them.

                “Um, hi,” Ginny said cautiously.  “We recognized your voice—what’s the matter?”

                “Never you mind,” said Harry crassly.

                Ginny’s eyes shot up.  “Don’t you use that tone with me.  I was only wonder what I could do to help.”

                “Well, you can’t,” he said shortly.

                Harry was being a real git to Ginny and Luna didn’t like it one bit.  She tried not to show her anger too much, but instead said calmly, “You’re being rather rude, Harry.”

                Harry cursed and began to turn away.  Meanwhile, Hermione and Ron had just been standing there like statues when Hermione finally spoke up.  “Wait, Harry.  Maybe they can help.”

                Harry scoffed, “How?”

                “Well, I know you’ve already said Sirius is at the Ministry—” Harry was about to interrupt when Hermione continued more desperately, “Please, Harry just listen to me first!  But it would be a good idea to check first just to—”

                “SIRIUS IS BEING TORTURED RIGHT NOW!  We can’t waste time—”

                “But what if V-Voldemort’s trying to trick you—we’ve got to—”  Luna was shocked that Hermione had dared to utter his name!

                “How?” Harry questioned maliciously.  Luna just wanted to slap Harry, the boy who she looked up to as a brother.  He was acting completely out of character and it worried Luna.  She understood that something bad had happened to Sirius Black, his godfather to whom he looked to as a father.  She understood that he had to help him.  But what she didn’t understand was why it was so urgent, why You-Know-Who was involved, and what the HECK was going on!

                “We’ll use the fireplace in Umbridge’s office to try and contact him,” Hermione said smartly.  “That’s where we can use Ginny and Luna, as lookouts.”

                “Fine,” Harry agreed, finally.  “If you want to do it this way, though, it has to be quick.  Because then we have to get to the Department of Mysteries—”

                “Oh!  The Department of Mysteries?” Luna inquired.  She had heard of it before; it was a mysterious department in the Ministry of Magic that no one really knew anything about.  “How will you get there?”

                Harry ignored her.  It hurt, but Luna had to move on as Hermione and Harry made plans and then Harry dashed away.  Hermione then led Luna, Ginny and Ron up towards Umbridge’s office to establish roles and assign posts.  The plan would commence as soon as Harry returned with his invisibility cloak.

                Soon, Harry met them and Luna and Ginny went to stand at opposite ends of the corridor to ward off any wandering students, ready with the story that a load of Garroting Gas had been set off.  Ron was off to distract Umbridge, and Hermione and Harry were to go under the cloak and sneak into the office to try and contact Harry’s godfather.

                It was a plan, but Luna wasn’t sure if it was a good one.