She Never Lost Her Roar

The weekend approached and the first match of the Quidditch season was almost here.  Between the hard-core rivals, Slytherin and Gryffindor, it was sure to be interesting.  Everyone from the two houses was anxious, pranks were played and jinxes cast.  And it seemed to all that poor Ronald Weasley, the new keeper for the Gryffindor team was the target for most of Slytherin’s taunts.  No one but their own team had seen him play yet, and by the uneasy looks of Angelina, the Gryffindor team captain, and the seers of the relentless Slytherins, it didn’t seem that he would be very good.

            Slytherin’s would march down the corridors between classes singing at the top of their lungs a horrid song making fun of everything that is Ron Weasley.  They were also proudly sporting glimmering crown-shaped pins with the words “Weasley is Our King” spelled out in large, mocking letters.  Poor Ronald had been dashing through the hallways all day, head down and face red as a gumblywump’s behind.

            After numerous chats with Helena, Luna had decided that perhaps she wasn’t quite ready to forgive Neville, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t support her other friends.  So, all week long she had been sneaking off to the Room of Requirement after supper each evening to work on her project.  The Room supplied her with her every whim and need, and by the time the morning of the match came around, she was ready to display her creation to her peers.

            At breakfast, Luna drifted over to Hermione, Harry, and Ron, who was looking quite tense.

            “Hello,” she said assertively, alerting them of her presence.  Turning around, she was met by their wide eyes and startled faces.

            “I’m supporting Gryffindor,” she stated while pointing to her head, unaware if they were unsure of what she was wearing or that they were just surprised to see her on the wrong side of the room.

            On the crown of Luna’s head, an enormous, hand-crafted lion’s head was perched.  It’s mouth was open in a great “roar” and it appeared as if to be eating her.  Plumes of feathers and strings of yarn and fabric framed her face giving off the look of a wild mane.  Two large, ivory teeth were nestled by her forehead just above the eyebrows.  Luna’s long blond hair lay on her shoulders, seeming as if they were a part of the mane as well.

            Sniggers from behind her drifted to her ears, but Luna just told herself whoever was behind her was sharing a private joke-nothing whatsoever to do with her.  But while still staring at the trio curiously, a sudden thought seemed to overcome Luna.

            “Look what it does…” Raising her wand tip to the lion’s left tooth, a loud, and altogether very realistic sounding ROAR! erupted in the Great Hall, silencing everyone nearby, even making a few jump in their seats.

            Once everyone had resumed their conversations, Luna said, “Lovely, isn’t it?  I wanted to have it chewing on a serpent, like Slytherin, you know?  But you see there wasn’t enough time.  Anyway…good luck, Ronald!”

            As she floated away, she thought that perhaps she should have wished Harry good luck as well.  But she had only said it to Ronald specifically because he had looked just a bit green in the face and seemed in need of some encouragement.  Ah well, it was too late now.

            Instantly after the breakfast crowd had dispersed, everyone seemed to simultaneously charge towards the Quidditch field.  This factor made it quite difficult for anyone to get there, though, without being at least majorly jostled.  Very aware of the crowd, and the danger it imposed on her hat, Luna kept her creation close, though it did not escape without a few minor bumps and bruises.