Unwelcome Welcome

“So, Daddy,” Luna began once she was back home, hastily packing all of her Hogwarts gear.  “Has there been any interesting news while I was away?”

            Considering for a moment, her father said, “My favorite teapot broke and splattered-”

            “No,” Luna laughed.  “That’s not what I meant!  I mean current event wise.  Anything happening?”

            “Oh,” Mr. Lovegood said, his face drawing back into a solemn stare.  “There’s been a mass breakout from Azkaban.”  He whispered the words with fear.

            Azkaban.  It was the worst prison of all time.  No one could get out—ever.  Only one man had succeeded in this impossible feat: Sirius Black, a murderer.  They still didn’t know how he got out, past the dementors and all.

            “They think that Sirius Black is behind this stunt as well,” her father added grimly.

            “Who got out?” Luna asked, fearing the answer.

            “They were all devout Death Eaters.”

            Death Eaters—You-Know-Who’s followers.  A shudder ran down Luna’s spine.

            “But it’s alright, Loony-bear.” He squeezed her into a hug.  “You’ll be safe at Hogwarts.”

            “I know I will,” she replied with confidence.

---

            The next day, the Lovegood father dropped his daughter off at school.  Hogwarts had never seemed more welcoming to Luna.  Her hospital room was the dullest thing imaginable and the thoughts of moving staircases and talking pictures were enough to make her practically jump up the steps to Flitwick’s office.  But her body, still in recovery, reminded her that perhaps she wasn’t quite up to running yet.

            Escorting her to her dorm after checking in with the Ravenclaw professor, Mr. Lovegood’s heart swelled with joy at the sight of his little blonde witch alive and well again.  Placing a goodbye kiss on her golden crown, she smiled up at him and he found tears brimming in his eyes.  Then, quietly he departed.

            Luna unpacked her things and after asking a painting in passing about the time, headed towards the Great Hall for the end of lunch.  As she skipped delicately down the stairs, a smile seemed glued to her face.  She was about to see her friends!  Luna couldn’t wait to see their smiling faces, hugging her back into existence, saying how much they’d missed her.

            She burst through the double doors and stood there for a moment, grinning.  Not a head turned her way.  Somewhat disappointed, but not yet discouraged, Luna ran up to the Gryffindor table and tapped Ron, the closest, on the shoulder.  He turned with a start.

            “Oh, it’s just you, Luna.  You scared me for a moment there.”  Then he turned back to his soup.

            Shocked, Luna turned to Harry who smiled at her with a, “Hi, Luna.”

            From Hermione she received a nod.

            And from Neville—but Neville was nowhere to be seen.

            Noticing her still there, Harry answered her presence with a question, “So, what brings you here, Luna?”

            “Where’s Neville?” she asked, not yet answering his question.