Friendship

“We should go see if Harry’s alright,” Ginny suggested.

            “I agree,” Ron said, finally free of the brains and calming down.  “Let’s go!”  He got up, ready to stride out the door, but Professor Lupin grabbed his sweater.

            “Hold on a second.  I don’t think you kids should go out there.”

            “But we’ve been training all year!” Ginny cried.

            “Yeah, we can do it, Professor!” Neville added.

            “I’m serious,” he said, giving all of them a severe look in the eyes.  “I have a bad feeling about what’s out there and I don’t want any of you getting hurt.  Tonks, please make sure they stay here.”  With that, he left the room, closing the door behind him.

            The students all turned to Tonks.

            “You’re not really going to keep us here, are you?” Ron asked her.

            She sighed.  “I’m afraid Remus is right.  I don’t think it’s a good—” She was interrupted by a loud bang outside the door Lupin had just exited through.

            “Remus!” she cried as she ran out the door.  So much for making them stay put.

            “Luna, help me up, will you?” Ginny asked.  Luna supported Ginny as she limped toward the door, Ron helped Hermione stand.  She stood still for a moment, holding her head and looking like she was going to pass out again, but then look ahead and took slow steps after Ginny towards the door.  Neville went through first, his wand at the ready.

            It wasn’t long before they found Lupin and Tonks.  And Cornelius Fudge, and Dumbledore.  Luna's head swirled in confusion.  All of these random, important people had showed up, but where was Harry?  Aurors were swarming the hall, investigating who knows what.

            “What’s going on?” Hermione whispered, her first words since she had spoken since she had regained her consciousness.

            “He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named made a little surprise visit,” Professor Lupin said sullenly.

            “Professor,” Luna asked very cautiously, “where’s Harry?”

            “He went back to Hogwarts,” he answered.  “You all should go, too.”

            “How are we going to get—” Hermione began, but then promptly threw up in the middle of her sentence.

            “I think it’s time to go,” Tonks said, giving Hermione a sympathetic look.

            “Dumbledore should have a portkey we can use,” Lupin said.

            “But what about the thestrals?” Luna asked.  Everyone looked at her.  “We can’t just leave them.”

            ---

            Luna and Nymphadora rode back on two of the thestrals, leading the others behind them by ropes.  The others had decided they needed to get some rest.  Dumbledore had come to speak with them, thanked them for their bravery, scolded them for leaving the school, and assured them they would be excused from end of the year exams.  Hermione seemed  devastated, saying she had been studying so hard it would be a waste.  Dumbledore promised he would return to the school and resume his position as Headmaster.  Luna could not stop beaming.

            On the ride back to the castle, Tonks filled Luna in on all that had happened.  Bellatrix had killed Sirius, Harry’s godfather.  Then You-Know-Who showed up, but Dumbledore came and saved the day.  Luna’s heart went out to Harry.  Sirius was the closest things to family in Harry’s life.  Luna knew what it was like to lose loved ones.  It hurt.  More than anything in the world.  It ached and burned and became a heavy weight inside of her, forever lingering and weighing her down.

            Ultimately, their mission to save Sirius had failed.  They were returning not heroes, but still the same old kids with a few more bruises only there to prove they ever went.  Luna was okay with that.  She didn’t want to be a hero.  Heroes were overrated.  But being yourself wasn’t.  And she had learned that.  Her new friends had accepted her despite her oddities.  That itself was proof enough.

She had always thought that being who she was was what pushed people away.  But she couldn’t help her.  And in the end, that was what had given her these wonderful people who let her come on adventures with them.  Friendship was all she had ever wanted.  And now she had it. 

Luna smiled the whole way to Hogwarts.

---

One last chapter...