Quibbler Quoted

The next morning at breakfast, Luna received quite a shock.  None other than Hermione Granger herself, the living encyclopedia in the flesh, sat down right next to her.

            “Er, hi, Hermione,” Luna stammered.

            “Hello, Luna,” Hermione beamed, a certain glint in her eyes.  “I have a favor to ask of you.”

            Oh.  Luna’s shoulders slumped.  Why else would the frizzy haired witch voluntarily sit within such a close proximity to her other than wanting something?  “What is it?”

            “I need you to ask your father if he has room for another article in this month’s edition of the Quibbler.”

            Whoa.  Stop right there.  Hermione Granger, Miss. Know-it-all who hated the Quibbler and everything to do with it, wanted an article in it?

            “What about?” Luna questioned, utterly befuddled.

            “Harry Potter.  You-Know-Who.  All of it.  The truth,” she whispered, excitement dancing with her thin eyebrows.

            Luna’s breath caught in her throat.  “Brilliant,” she choked out.  It was, truly, a brilliant idea.  The Daily Prophet would never publish something like that, but the Quibbler could!  But then, “One problem: who’s going to write it.”

            “Oh, don’t worry about that,” Hermione said mischievously.  “I’ve got it covered.  Meet me on Saturday during our Hogsmeade visit at the Three Broomsticks.  Around eleven thirty, got it?  I’ll bring our reporter and Harry.”  She smiled and walked off.

            Luna set off straight away to send an owl to Daddy.

---

            A few days later, Luna was sitting in the Three Broomsticks sipping Butterbeer with Hermione and none other than Rita Skeeter.  Luna had recently learned that under certain unknown circumstances, the notorious liar had been fired from her post as reporter for the Daily Prophet.  The lizard skin-clad witch sat in the far corner of the booth, her blonde curls askew, glaring angrily at the girls.

            “Alright, Skeeter,” Hermione said, leaning forward on her elbows.  “Let’s get straight down to business.  We have a story for you and you’re going to write it exactly how we want it.”

            Luna didn’t know what, but Hermione definitely had something over Rita, judging by the fact the older woman was being bossed around by a 16 year old.  Luna zoned out of their conversation for a few minutes, staring off into space.  She seemed to do this often.

            “What’s up with her?” Ms. Skeeter said not kindly at all in Luna’s direction, chewing on her long, painted fingernails.

            “Nothing,” Hermione shot back defensively.  Luna was surprised; this was the first time Hermione had ever stood up for her.  She smiled, subtly.  “Listen, witch,” she started again.  “You’re only going to ask Harry the questions I tell you, and you’re going to copy down exactly what he says.  Got that?”

            Rita stuck up her lip grudgingly.  “Well, Little Miss Perfect-”

            “Hello,” Harry said, bursting in.  He sat next to Hermione, staring in shock at the reporter before him.  “What is she doing here?”

            “I’d like to ask Miss Perfect the same thing,” Rita spit with venom.

            “Oh, be quiet,” Hermione said bluntly.  She turned back to Harry.  “Everything alright with Cho?  You’re early.”