Waking Up

Luna woke to the noise of screams ringing in her ears.

            “SHE KILLED HIM I’LL KILL HER!” someone screamed.  Who was dead?  Luna’s heart pounded in fear.  She was still groggy.  Perhaps she was hearing things.  She tried to move and groaned.  Everything hurt.  Attempting to open her eyes, the room was too bright and she couldn’t see.

            After several more minutes of struggling, Luna was finally able to sit up.  Ronald was freeing himself from some tentacles with some help from Professor Lupin, her second year Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Neville was panting in a corner, Hermione was passed out not too far away from Luna, and Ginny was talking to a lady with purple hair.  Who was she?  Why was Professor Lupin here?  But the more pressing question was: where was Harry?

            Just then, Bellatrix Lestrange ran into the room through one door, and just sprinted through a door on the opposite side.  Lupin stood.  Then, Harry came dashing through, his wand at the ready.  He had a strange look on his face.  Luna couldn’t quite decide what it was.  Lupin grabbed Harry’s arm.

            “She killed him!” Harry cried.  “I’m going to kill her!”  Luna was alarmed hearing such threats from her friend.

            “No, Harry!” Lupin exclaimed.  “She-“ but Harry had ripped himself from Lupin’s grip and was already dashing out the door.  Lupin was about to follow him out, when a figure materialized in the center of the room.

            Albus Dumbledore.

            “Which way?” he whispered urgently to Lupin.  He pointed to the door where Harry had disappeared.  Dumbledore slipped away, the door closing behind him.

            If Dumbledore was here, things were serious.

A few moments of silence ensued.  Then, people began talking again in hushed tones.

“Are you okay, Luna?” Ginny asked her cautiously.

            Luna felt something warm on her forehead.  Sure enough, a bump was forming on her scalp and blood was dripping down onto her face.  She touched the bump gingerly, wincing when her fingers made contact with the sensitive area.  “Um, yes, I’m fine.  Thank you, Ginny,” she replied weakly.

            “If you say so,” Ginny said, still worried.

            Changing the topic, Luna asked her, “How is your ankle doing?”

            Ginny pointed to the lady talking to Neville whose hair was now blue, not purple, “Tonks did something, so now the swelling’s going down.  It still hurts pretty badly, though.”

            “I’m sorry,” Luna murmured in response, not knowing what else to say.  She looked around the room again.  Ron was free from the tentacles, and now all that sat next to him was a brain.  Luna shivered.  Ew.  Neville and Tonks continued their conversation.  Ginny played with some wrappings on her ankle.  Hermione was still unconscious.  Luna crawled over to her side.  She held her limp wrist between two fingers.  There was a pulse, but it was faint.

            Professor Lupin came and kneeled by Luna.

            “How long has she been unconscious?” he asked.

            “At least an hour,” she responded.  “Probably more.  I’m not sure exactly.”

            He nodded.  “Let me see what I can do.”  Pulling out his wand, he held it above her feet.  Slowly, he moved the wand up her body.  Nothing happened until the wand reached her chest.  A small spot where her heart was began to glow.

            “Ah, okay,” Lupin breathed.  “She was hit by a tough one.  But don’t worry, she’ll be alright.”  Luna wasn’t sure if he was trying to reassure her or himself.

            Murmuring a spell under his breath, he drew his wand up from the point that was glowing.  A feathery, purple flame seemed to come out of Hermione’s chest.  Lupin and Luna both stared intently at Hermione, willing her to wake up.  And then, her eyelids fluttered.  Two chocolate irises stared back at them.  Then, she groaned.

            “She’ll be okay,” Lupin said, confidently.  He stood and looked around the room.  “We all will.”