The Room of Requirement

A few days after the secret meeting at Hog’s Head, Dolores Umbridge threw a new piece of information into the mix, scattering the DA for just a short time.  The DA was short for Dumbledore’s Army, a clever name invented by the Weasley twins. 

            “Might as well shove it in Fudge’s face,” they had stated simply.

            But Professor Umbridge had a new rule passed: All extracurricular activities and student-run organizations were to be disbanded until full inventory had taken place and approval was given.

            Luna stared at the decree posted in the Ravenclaw common room, eyes wide with fear.  Umbridge couldn’t know, could she?  It wasn’t possible for her to have, they had all been so careful, so quiet about it.  They hadn’t even had their first real meeting yet!  The DA was made up of reliable people, for the most part.  There weren’t any Slytherins on the list.  Luna couldn’t fathom how Umbridge could have possibly found out.

            Later that day, Luna worked up the nerves to go over to Hermione at lunch.

            “Hermione,” Luna started, warily.  “What are we going to do?”

            “About what?” Hermione said sharply, not understanding.

            “About the DA,” she whispered in reply.

            “Here,” Hermione said, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a gold Galleon.

            “Why are you giving me this?” Luna said angrily.  “I’m not that much of a charity case, am I?”

            “No, no,” Hermione said quickly after a slight pause.  “This will tell you the time of our next meeting.  It will be in the Room of Requirement.  Now, go away!  Do you want to attract attention?” she hissed.  She pushed me away as Luna sputtered, trying to ask her where and what the Room of Requirement was.

            Later that day, Luna bumped into Neville on the seventh floor.

            “Hello, Neville!” Luna said brightly.

            “Hi Luna,” he replied drearily.

            “What’s wrong, Neville?”

            “Oh, nothing really.  I’m just worried that Umbridge is going to find out about the DA.  This really could have been my chance to…”

            “I understand perfectly, Neville.  But don’t worry, everyone’s worried.  Did you hear that Umbridge is temporarily disbanding all of the Quidditch teams?”  Luna said, trying to change the subject.

            “Yeah,” Neville said morosely.