Kindred Catastrophe

Constant pain.  Sleepless nights.

            The week at the hospital was tough.  The constant treatments were painful and Luna’s dad had to go back to work and tend to the house, so she only ever saw him in the mornings.

            But she was returning.

            The dark cold she had lived in for what seemed like forever was beginning to disappear.  It felt wonderful to be warm again; like bliss.  An elegant smile crept onto her thin lips.  A nurse came over to her cot where she was propped up on a pillow, gazing out the window at an enchanted scene, the real world blocked out from find their magic.

            “I see some color in those cheeks today, hon!” the witch said kindly, smiling at Luna.  It reminded Luna of a smile, a ghost of a smile.  One her mother used to wear.

            Kindra Lovegood had taught Luna so much.  It was because of her mother that she was who she was: that spunky blonde witch with more to her than people gave her credit for.  Her mum was a great witch, always experimenting and creating new potions or spells.  She was extremely bright and like Luna, a Ravenclaw at heart.  But in the wizarding world, she was not terribly well-known.  To Luna she was the smartest woman on the planet and deserved, by far, to be the most famous witch of the age.  But of course a seven year old girl could not do much in the world.

            But her risky experiments finally got the better of her when Luna was the age of nine.  Luna’s only memory of herself at that age was of being covered in half-mixed chocolate pudding, tears on her face, and ash on her shoes.

Mrs. Lovegood never saw her only daughter off to Hogwarts.  She never saw her pick up her wand for the first time or cast her first jinx.  And she was the reason why Luna saw her first thestral.

            Luna cringed at the morbid thoughts and responded to the nurse with a small nod.  The nurse fussed with some medical supplies by her bedside before she finally returned her attention to Luna.

            “Well, dear, today’s the day you go home!”  Surprise caught Luna in the face as she involuntarily grinned to her ears.  The news shocked her but she was so glad to hear it, she couldn’t contain herself as she let out a whoop! of joy.  The nurse smiled with pleasure.

            “Just rest up for a little while longer before your father to comes and gets you, alright?” Luna nodded enthusiastically.  She was not going to be able to rest now.

            As the nurse left the room and Luna lay still on her pillow, her thoughts drifted back to her mother. 

The day the experiment went wrong, Luna was in the lab with her mother, just watching as she stirred a potion with her wand in one hand, and flipped through pages of a spellbook with the other, reading intently.  Luna smiled as her mum stopped her stirring and began rifling through her stock of ingredients, no doubt searching for some strange trufflemudge root or fuzzybump tail.  She loved it when her mum would call her over by her experiments and describe the rare specimins she was using and what she thought would happen if she put them together in a certain way.  The experiments always intrigued Luna, and this one was no different.