Greasy Hair and Cold Eyes

Remember, some of the dialogue in this fanfiction is directly from the book.  But not all…

---

            “Oh, no, no, you don’t want to go that way,” Luna said cautiously to a second year.  “There was some Garroting Gas set off in there and it would be wise not to take your chances, I’d say.”

            “I don’t see any gas,” a suspicious sixth year stated.

            “Of course you don’t!” Luna replied.  “If you want to try your luck and see if you don’t happen to choke to death, be my guest.”  Her sweet whimsical voice saying such a dreadful thing seemed to scare the nearby students away.  Soon, no one else was coming through the corridor.  All was quiet.

            Then, Luna whipped around as she heard shouts coming from Ginny’s side of the corridor.  She looked down the hall to see Ginny, and to her surprise, Neville as well, trying to fend off two Slytherin members of the Inquisitorial Squad.  Luna was about to run over to help, when two beefy arms grabbed her from behind and jostled her wand from her grip.

            “Let go!” Luna cried.  At the sound of her voice, Neville turned mid-struggle, and with a look of dismay in his eyes saw her with her arms behind her back.  And in that moment of distraction, his offender punched him in the gut and took him in a head lock.  Luna gasped. 

“Neville!”  She turned to see Ginny thrashing in the arms of her attacker as well.  “Ginny—”   But that was when Umbridge came streaking through, fuming with rage.  Draco Malfoy wasn’t far behind her, smirking smugly as he smiled at each of the captives in turn.  Oh, how he irked her so!  But soon after him came another one of his friends whom was holding an ashamed looking Ronald Weasley.

They were all then dragged into Umbridge’s office where they found Harry at the point of her wand, Hermione being held against the back wall, and both of their wands in Dolores’s pudgy hands.

Luna felt her heart seize up at the terror Umbridge’s wild eyes foretold.  Her feet froze in their tracks, until the brute who was grabbing her pushed her forward with a gruff, “Move it, freak.”

One of the High Inquisitor’s thugs marched in and said, “That’s the last of ‘em.  That one,” he said, pointing at Neville with a bloated finger, “tried to help her,” he finished, his finger making his way to Ginny’s grimacing face.

 Then we were all lined up, a member of the Inquisitorial Squad holding each of us.  Umbridge walked up and down the line like a drill sergeant glaring at us.  Then the witch whipped around and pointed her wand at Harry’s nose.

“Who were you trying to contact in the fire?!” she screeched.

“I…uh…I—“

“Spit it out, boy!”

Luna wanted to know what Harry was going to say.  She had no idea what she would have said in his situation.

“It’s none of your business who I talk to,” Harry snarled through his teeth.  He had been in a bad mood before they had gotten here and Luna was scared to see how long it would take before he finally burst.

“Of COURSE it is my business!  You posted lookouts around my office and sent this buffoon,” she waved her hand in Ron’s direction, his face turning redder as Draco laughed cruelly, “after me with a story I already knew was false because Mr. Filch had informed me otherwise just before.  Clearly it was very important for you to talk to someone.  Was it Dumbledore?  That giant, Hagrid?”