The First Meeting

“Alright, everyone,” Harry began the first official DA meeting, the crowd of anxious teens staring up at him.  “Let’s begin with the Expelliarmus Charm, also known as the Disarming Charm-”

            “Really, Potter?” an obnoxious Hufflepuff implored.  “We aren’t babies.  Why don’t you teach us something worthwhile?”

            “I’ve used Expelliarmus against You-Know-Who.  It may be a basic spell, but it has saved my life countless times.”

            The room was silent.  Luna pondered the thought: fighting You-Know Who.  Would it be as terrifying as everyone made it out to be or would it be simply exhilarating?  Perhaps it was a combination of both.  Yet, all the same, she hoped she would never have to come to this realization.

            Harry coughed a little and brought everyone back into focus.  “Anyways,” he continued.  “Everyone, get with a partner and practice Expelliarmus, okay?”

            Everyone nodded and broke off into pairs.

            “Neville?” Luna questioned him.  “Do you want to be partners?”

            “Oh, sorry Luna,” he said apologetically.  “I’m already with Seamus.”

            “That’s perfectly alright,” she said brightly, forcing a false smile into her tone.  She skipped over to Ginny.

            “Ginny? Would you like to be partners?”

            Sympathy crossed Ginny’s face.  “I would love to, Luna, but I’m already with Michael Corner.”

            “Oh, that’s alright,” Luna stated, unable to keep her dreary state out of her voice.  She peered around the room one last time to double check that there was no one else available.  Sighing, she walked up to a practice dummy.

            “I guess it’s just you, me, and the nargles,” she spoke to the stationary object, the usual dreamy timbre gone from her voice.  Raising her wand, and with a cry of “Epelliarmus!” the dummy’s wand stayed in place but its steel helmet flew off, almost striking an unaware Collin Creevy in the back of the head.  After an ugly grimace from his part, and an apologetic smile from her, Luna turned back to the statue with a new fierce confidence.

            “Expelliarmus!” she shouted, and with the flick of her wrist, the wand flew out of the dummy’s hand and directly at the wall.  Smiling proudly, Luna turned around to find that not a soul had seen her victory.  Instead they were all watching Hermione making a fool out of Ronald.

            Luna turned her back on the group solemnly, a new fire in her heart as she turned to face her unanimated opponent.  She would show them.  She would show them that she wasn’t worthless, even if it meant sneaking in here to practice every day.  Even if it meant skipping meals and Hogsmeade trips.  Luna was going to master Defense Against the Dark Arts if it was the last thing she would ever do.