Shards

“Very good, Potter.  Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me,” a voice said behind them, making Luna get goosebumps.  They all turned, wary and terrified.  What if You-Know-Who was right behind them?!

            But it was not Him.  It was none other than her bully’s father: Lucius Malfoy.  Just about as soon as they all turned around, more figures began to appear around them, trapping them.  Each was clothed in a black cloak and donned a mask.  The only ones without masks were Lucius and a woman to his left.  The woman was too far back into the shadows for them to see her face.  Luna gripped her wand tighter.

            “Give it to me, Potter,” Lucius repeated in an eerily calm tone.

            “Where’s Sirius?” Harry asked.

            “Potter,” Lucius said warningly, “give me the prophecy.”

            “I want to know where Sirius is!” Harry demanded, again.

            “I want to know where Sirius is!” the woman mocked him.  She cackled, throwing her head back, black curls bouncing.  The other figures laughed, too.  They were Death Eaters, You-Know-Who’s followers.  They had to be!

            “I know you’ve got him,” Harry said, trying to sound strong.  His voice wavered a bit.

            “Aw, you thought your dream was true?” the witch cooed.  “Poor baby.”  They laughed again.

            “It is time that you learned the difference between dreams and realities, Potter,” Lucius said with a smirk that looked so much like Draco’s.  “Now, give me the prophecy or we’ll start using our wands.”

            “Alright,” Harry said.  He raised his wand.  Luna, Ginny, Neville, Ron, and Hermione all followed suit.  The Death Eaters did not move.

            “Potter, if you just give me the prophecy now, no one will have to get hurt.”

            Harry laughed, this time.  “Oh, so if I give you this,” he raised the orb, “then you’ll just let us skip on home?”  That would be nice.  Luna did love skipping.  What a pleasant pas—

            “Accio proph—” the witch began to screech, interrupting Luna’s thoughts.  But before anyone had a chance to think, Harry shouted in response.

            “Protego!”  The prophecy stayed in his hand.  Luna wanted to clap for him and his quick reflexes.  She didn’t know why the Death Eaters wanted it so badly, but if they wanted it, it wasn’t for good.

            “The little baby Potter knows how to play,” the witch spat with malice.  She raised her wand.  “Very well—”

            “NO!” Lucius cried, surprising them all.  “I told you,” he said to the female Death Eater, “If you smash it--!”  The sentence was left open-ended.

            The woman stepped forward into the glow of the wand light.  Wanted posters featuring an Azkaban escapee filled Luna’s mind.  The same howling, mad-eyed woman in the moving pictures was mere meters away from them.  Bellatrix Lestrange had her wand pointed at their faces.

            “You need more persuasion, then?” she cried.  “We’ll torture the little one, then.  Go ahead and watch.”

            At first Luna thought she meant her, but she turned to see Ginny, half a head shorter than her, eyes wide with terror.  All the kids gathered tightly around her.  Harry stood directly in front of the Fourth Year red-head.

            “You’ll have to smash this if you want to hurt any of us,” Harry negotiated.  “I don’t think your boss would be too happy about that.”

            Bellatrix didn’t move.  No one did.  Only Neville was shaking.

            “So, what kind of prophecy is this?” Harry continued.

            “Are you joking, Harry Potter?” Bellatrix hissed.

            “Nope,” Harry said, popping the ‘p’.  “Why does Voldemort want it?”  Luna cringed at the name of the Dark Lord.

            “You dare to speak his name?” Bellatrix whispered with rage.

            “Yeah, I’ve got no problem saying Vol—”

            “SHUT UP!” the witch screamed.  “How dare you say his name with your unworthy, half-blood lips!  You bloody—”

            “He’s a half-blood, too, you know.  His mum’s a witch, dad’s a Muggle,” Harry began.  Hermione groaned, expecting the worst.  “Or is he lying to you?”

            “STUPEF—” Bellatrix began, but Lucius came to their rescue and blocked it, directing the red beam towards a shelf of prophecies instead.  Glass shattered and white wisps floated upward from the shards.  Voices whispered, floating with the wisps in the air.  Seeing them made Luna wish Helena was there with her.

            “DO NOT ATTACK!” Lucius screamed at the Death Eaters.

            “How dare—how dare he—filthy half-blood!” Bellatrix shrieked, rage disorienting her.

            Harry interrupted her temper tantrum, “You still haven’t told me what’s so special about this prophecy.”  Luna didn’t know what he was aiming for.  Who cares about the stupid prophecy?  They needed to get out of there!

            “Don’t play games, Potter,” Lucius warned.

            “Oh, I’m not,” Harry said, rather unconvincingly. 

            Lucius paused before continuing smugly, “You’re saying that Dumbledore never told you that the secret behind your scar was in the Department of Mysteries?”

            “I—what?” Harry said, confused.

            Lucius crowed with laughter.  “Seriously?  Well, that explains why you didn’t come earlier.  The Dark Lord was wondering why you didn’t come when he showed it to you in your dreams—”  As he continued, a breath of whispers came in Luna’s ear.

            “Smash shelves when he says now.”  It sounded like Hermione.  She had to be referring to Harry.  She knew what spell to use.

            When Luna refocused on the conversation going on before her, Lucius was saying, “Because only people whom the prophecies are about are permitted to retrieve them.”

            “But why did he want to steal a prophecy about me?” Harry asked.

            “It’s about both of you.  Haven’t you ever wondered why the Dark Lord tried to kill you as a baby?”

            Harry paused.  “Why didn’t he come and get it himself?”

            Lucius laughed yet again.  “Why, Potter, it would be ridiculous for the Dar—”

            “NOW!” Harry bellowed, interrupting the blonde wizard.

            “REDUCTO!” rang out in five different timbres in five different directions.  Glass fell around them in a storm, scattering Death Eaters and orbs.

            They ran.