Sneaks and Peeks

The next day after breakfast, a crowd began to gather in the corridor by the entrance to Hogwarts.  Luna didn't have time to stay and watch the drama unfold, she had Charms class to get to, but she needn't have feared, it was all anyone was talking about in the halls.

            The corridors were buzzing with the news of Professor Trelawney’s almost banishment.  When Luna saw McGonagall later in the day, the woman was in such a huff, she didn’t even teach class.  She just sat at her desk scribbling with a quill and in deep moments of seething anger, switching quickly back and forth between cat and witch.

            So, as the rest of the students chatted with each other, Luna finished up her homework from the rest of the day.  By the end of the period, she had nothing left and no more classes to go to.  She was free for the rest of the day!

            Instead of going back to the common room, Luna spent the afternoon wandering the corridors.  She loved hear snippets of conversations and try to piece them together.

            “Did you hear that Jeanine…”

            “…left the ink over…”

            “…by the river with…”

            “…those crazy ghosts…”

            “…that eat mice…”

            “…covered in green goo!”

            Luna laughed aloud, turning a few heads.  Though they were all different people talking to other different people about different things, she just loved to put them together so they sounded like something.  It was an easy way to amuse herself.  It was strange how such disjointed things could come together to make something smooth.

            She felt disjointed.  Luna felt cut off and left in the dirt.  This wasn’t an unfamiliar feeling, but it wasn’t a comfortable one either.  She watched as a girl ran up to greet her friend.  They chatted as they walked down the hall together.  Even after all the progress she had made this year with friendships, Luna still did not feel completely carefree around her small circle of friends.  She still felt like she needed to be extra polite and a bit guarded.

            The rest of the day was filled with quiet distraction.

---

            A week’s time had passed since Trelawney’s epic almost-banishment and Luna’s life was the same as always.  There were always ups and downs, but nothing too traumatic had occurred.  But then, just after midday, Luna attended a rather exciting D.A. meeting.

            Finally, they were working on Patronuses.  Luna had always admired the white glowing tendrils of light that formed creatures and danced around the room.  Oh, how she’d longed to able to create one for herself and find out what her own true Patronus was.

            “As you say the spell, you must at the same time think of one of the happiest moments in your life.  Something that just beams joy,” Harry told the class.  “That is the hardest part.  But also remember that it is very different to produce a Patronus here in a danger—free classroom rather than being confronted by a dementor.”

            Harry showed an example by conjuring up his own brilliant glowing stag which galloped around the room, full of pride.  As the pupils began, no one could make anything other than wisps, lighting up the Room of Requirement.  Then, the first Patronus formed, from none other than Hermione Granger.  It was a silver otter that back-stroked through the room, shaking its fur and stirring up smiles all around.  Hermione laughed gleefully as she followed it around.  Soon a few more had popped up, including a swan from Cho and a fox from Ginny.