Arguing With Hermione Granger

“So,” Hermione began again, hesitantly.  “As I was saying, if you want to learn real Defense Against the Dark Arts, we need to decide where to meet, when...”

            And yet again, poor Hermione was interrupted.

            “But who says Harry’s capable of teaching us?”

            “Harry can produce a Patronous,” Ron piped up.

            Everyone stared in awe at the reddening Harry Potter.

            “A stag,” Ron said proudly, boasting for his best friend who just sunk further into his chair.

            “Blimey, Harry!” Fred Weasley said.  “I didn’t know you could do that.”

            “And is it true that you killed a basilisk with the sword in Dumbledore’s office?” Another student quipped in.

            “Er-yeah,” Harry said almost reluctantly.

            “And he saved the Sorcerous Stone-” Neville said, jumping into the mix but Hermione hissed at him,

            “Sorcerer’s.”

            “Yeah, that, from You-Know-Who.”

            “And what about all of his tasks in the Triwizard Tournament?” Cho added with strength.

            Harry looked a bit guilty as he said, “Guys, I’m not trying to be modest, but really, I did have a lot of help with all those things…”

            “Not with the dragon.”

            “Or the dementors.”

            “Or…”

            “Okay, okay,” Harry said, looking frustrated.  “But-”

            “Yes, well, moving on,” Hermione stated quickly before everything turned into a heated argument.  “The point is, are we agreed that we want to take lessons from Harry?”

            Murmurs of agreement were heard throughout the room.  Luna nodded, smiling gleefully.  Perhaps this was actually going to work!

            Then an argument broke out about avoiding Quidditch practice days for different teams and clubs and the sort.  Luna zoned out for a moment, thinking about what kinds of amazing things Harry was going to teach her.  She would learn to defend herself, and she would do it well.

            Then Hermione said, “I’m sure we’ll find a night that suits everyone,” ending the debate.  “But you know, it is fairly important that we learn how to defend ourselves against V-Voldemort and his Death Eaters…”

            The room broke out into shouts of agreement.

            “What I don’t understand is why the Ministry doesn’t want us to learn anything,” one kid questioned.

            “Well,” Hermione began.  “We believe that the Ministry has it in their heads that Dumbledore will try to use us as his own kind of private army and well, use us against the Ministry.”

            Everyone looked shocked by the news, except Luna.  She already knew this.  Her father had told her about it after a trip to the Ministry to get an appeal to discharge his debts on The Quibbler.  He said there were flyers all over the place saying that Dumbledore must be stopped.  And he told her about something else and this she expressed to the group.

            “Well, that makes sense.  After all, Cornelius Fudge has his own private army.”  Cornelius was the uptight Minister of Magic who refused to believe that You-Know-Who was back even with all of the evidence right in his face.

            “What?” Harry said, surprised.

            “He has an army of heliopaths,” Luna said with all seriousness.

            “No, he doesn’t,” Hermione stated without feeling.

            “Yes, he does,” Luna replied.

            “What’s a heliopath?” Neville asked, thoroughly confused.

            “They are tall, flaming spirits of fire that can burn everything in their paths-” Luna began, dreamily.

            “They don’t exist,” Hermione said shortly.

            “Yes they do!” Luna said hotly, anger boiling up inside her.  What did Hermione know?  What on earth did that Hermione Granger know?!

            “I’m sorry, but where’s the proof?” Hermione said with mockery.

            “There have been many eye-witness accounts, and just because you’re so narrow-minded that you need everything shoved under your nose-”

            “So,” Ginny said, stopping the problem before it could happen.  “Where are we going to meet for these lessons?”

            Now back on topic, everyone began to think.  Except Luna who was still breathing heavily and furiously after the argument.  She couldn’t remember being this angry before.  Hermione just had to know everything, didn’t she!  She could never let Luna have anything, anything at all.  Luna already had nothing.  She didn’t need any more taken away from her.