~ Twenty Four ~

I was nervous as I slowly made my way to the front foyer, hoping that there would be no disasters during this ball and that it would all run smoothly. I absently ran my hands down my dress, an understated, red, satin A-line. It would match the other girls, who wore similar shades of red and orange.

Beckii had decided to theme our ball around autumn, mixing the two regions' fall aesthetics and traditions. Even though I was still upset with her and she was barely talking to me, I had to admit she had done an amazing job with her tasks.

I had ended up agonizing over the centerpieces and floral decorations more than I needed to, knowing Alex would be judging them. The decorators had done an amazing job with the grape vines climbing the tall columns of the ball room, and they had delicately hung the imported Red Oak cuttings along the banisters. Attaching tree branches to the walls and ceiling had been a bold choice, but they somehow knew exactly what I had been picturing. Chestnuts, the main fruit of the Italian fall, had been Albany's idea, and they were incorporated into all the decorations.

Anouk had come up with the idea to change the sheer curtains to a red color, making the light outside filter in as a rosy pink. Here in the capital our falls were more subdued, and we were nearing the end of the season, but we knew Italy was still bright and colorful this time of year and wanted to emulate that.

I heard someone running up behind me, and I turned to see Beckii hurrying down the hallway as fast as she could in her tall heals. "Atlas," she hissed in a harsh whisper, skidding to a stop next to me, "They changed the guest list. It's not just ambassadors."

Her eyes were wide and her breath ragged, making my stomach churn with a new anxiety. "What do you mean 'not just ambassadors?'" I demanded. I didn't want to be late, so I offered her my arm for comfort, and we started walking towards the foyer with our heads bowed together.

"I mean," she drawled under her breath, "the Italian princess is here."

I balked and stepped on the hem of my dress, making Beckii tighten her grip on my arm as she caught me. I couldn't think of something to say, my mouth gaping as I searched for anything. "Oh. . . I hope the forks are on the correct side," was all I could come up with. Suddenly this wasn't just a ball for Italian government officials, this was the future leader of an entire country. If we messed up, we could have serious effects on our international relations.

I felt bile rise in the back of my throat, and I took a few deep breaths to keep myself from vomiting. I leaned into Beckii more, looking for comfort.

As we slowed our pace so we could collect ourselves, I wondered if Alex had known she was coming. He had been so stressed, but I had been skeptical about the importance of his meetings with the ambassadors. He had called it a test, and now it seemed serious enough to be one. It was evening, so they would have already met by now. I hope it went well. I caught myself before entertaining the thought to quickly go find him before the ball started; after what happened last night, I think we both needed space.

Beckii snorted at my comment, and a sudden rush of happiness filled me. I had missed her so much, and I thought that this night might bring us together again. She seemed to relax too and wrapped her other hand around my bicep.

"Is it just the princess? Any other royals?" I asked, slowing even more as we approached the main foyer.

"Thankfully," she replied with a sigh, "and she's only a few years older than us. . . maybe she'll go easy on our group."

"What do girls our age like?" I whispered, pushing open the door for us.

"I don't know," she hissed with a smile, adding jokingly, "should we serve more hard liquor?"