~ Forty Five ~

My stomach was in knots as I waited in the foyer. I jumped to my feet when the doors opened, but then sat back down on the stairs as Saffron's second guest arrived.

"Easy, Atlas," Alex murmured, placing a hand on my shoulder as I moved my skirts away to sit next to him. We weren't supposed to sit on the ground like this, but no one tried to reprimand the prince. He was the only royal here, and it was clear he was waiting for my guest specifically. He wore a passive expression, but I could feel the nervous energy coming off him as well.

I had greeted Princess Carina late last night as she arrived from her flight, so now I was just waiting in the early morning hours for my mother to arrive.

The story was simple. She was a family friend, a schoolteacher from Dansbury; I had invited her to meet Alex with the assumption that she would give us her blessing in place of my parents. It was an idea stolen from Anouk, who also brought her mother as her second guest, and came off innocent enough that no one questioned it.

I hadn't seen my mother since that first time at the rebel headquarters, and I was anxious to get the introductions over with. All guests were assigned castle stylists, so once I greeted her, I wouldn't see her again until the tea party this afternoon, sparing me of any private conversations she might want to strike up.

I was distracted by Alex momentarily, who pushed my loose hair over my shoulder to look at me. "Don't worry, I'm right here," he told me quietly, reaching for my hand with a gentle smile. I grimaced when I heard the click of a camera but didn't untangle our fingers.

That was, until the door creaked open again. Alex and I both stood, but he let me take the lead as I clicked down the stairs in my short heels.

My mother wore a pair of dark sunglasses and her hair had been dyed a dirty blonde to try and avoid any suspicions of any blood connection. More importantly, she wore a pair of contacts that hid our distinct eye color. I still worried about how similarly we looked, and my confidence in this plan shriveled.

"Atlas," she greeted with a warm smile. She pulled her sunglasses off and placed them on the top of her head, pushing her hair out of her face.

"Hi, Virginia," I greeted with her cover name, opening up my arms for her. I felt her wrap her good arm around my back, squeezing me too hard as I leaned over her shoulder.

"Miss. Poole," Alex said stiffly next to me, reaching out his hand and bowing his head to my mother as we pulled away.

"Your highness," my mother answered, going through the motions of a curtsy in her suit jacket and pencil skirt combo. She smiled as if she was in complete control of the situation, and it was off-putting.

"Duncan here will be your guide this weekend," Alexandre explained, motioning to a blond event coordinator. I was glad he wasn't leaving any room to catch up right now; I needed to calm down and clear the thoughts that whirled around my head.

"Yes, my lady," Duncan confirmed, bowing, "I have you scheduled for a session with the stylists this morning, and then you will be joining the other guests in a complimentary tour of the castle and its grounds."

"Oh, will my dear Atlas be joining us?" my mother asked, tilting her head with a tight-lipped smile.

Alexandre answered for me. "Atlas is very busy with preparations," he interjected quickly, "but you will have plenty of time to catch up at the tea party tonight." I could feel him bristling as he stood offset behind me, and I knew he wasn't happy that she was here. As much as he wanted to compromise with the Northerners, he hated dealing with my mother.

"That's too bad," she replied evenly, meeting Alex's challenge with her eyes.

"I'm glad you arrived safely," I butted in, trying to break the tension, "I can't wait to see you later. Please enjoy the pampering." I felt the prince slip his hand into mine, and though I knew he shouldn't do that in front of her, I was grateful he was here to support me.