CH.17 LAST CLINIC APPOINTMENT

Bessie had decided to let Joey and Pacey stay home from school the Friday of Joey's clinic appointment. She had talked to Pacey's dad the night before and he agreed to them staying home.

Poor Joey had been having so much morning sickness, that she didn't argue with Bess when her sister said that they would be staying home from school that day. That meant that Joey could go back to bed and not have to start getting ready for school.

Joey slipped back into bed beside Pacey. Pacey threw his arm over her. She snuggled into him and he kissed the top of her head.

It seemed like no time had passed when Joey heard Bessie calling out to them to wake up. "Come on Pace wake up" Joey said. "Ugh it's time to get up already." "Yes it is" Bessie said walking into the room. "Guys aren't you excited? Today you get to find out when your little one will be here and when y'all will be parents." "Ok Bess we're up". Joey said.

They took Pacey's truck so that Bodie would have his and Bessie's truck. Joey sat in the middle and Bessie sat on the passenger side.

Pacey turned into the parking lot and parked. "How are you feeling Jo?" Pacey asked as they were walking to front door. "I actually feel ok. I guess the extra sleep helped with my morning sickness because when I first woke up this morning I was so sick." "Asked the doctor if she can prescribe you something to help with it" Pacey said. "I will" Joey said as she walked through the door that Pacey was holding open for her and Bessie.

Joey signed in while Bessie and Pacey went to sit down. "Ms. Potter we need to get a urine sample from you". The receptionist told her as she was handing Joey a cup. "When you are done, you'll see a door in the wall in the bathroom. Open that door and leave your sample there." "Yes mam" Joey said, taking the cup from her.

After she was done and had put the sample where the receptionist had told her to put it. She took a seat between Pacey and Bessie. Pacey took her hand and Joey layed her head on his shoulder.

"Ms. Potter" the nurse called. They all three stood up and followed the nurse to the back. "Before I put you in a room, I need to get your vitals and weight." Joey stepped up onto the scale and the nurse wrote it down on her chart. Next the nurse took her temp, blood pressure and oxygen level. When she was done she said "please follow me". She led them to a room and put Joey's folder in the slot on the door. "The doctor will be with you shortly" the nurse said and shut the door.

Joey had just taken a seat on the examining table when they heard a short knock and Dr. Crosby walked in. "Nice to see you again Ms. Potter" the doctor said as she was taking a seat on the stool.

"I know this can't be your mom." "No mam Dr. Crosby. This is my sister Bessie. Our mom passed away when I was 14. Bessie became my legal guardian." Joey said. "Sorry to hear that Ms. Potter. Who is this young man?" The doctor asked. "This is Pacey my boyfriend and the father to my baby." Joey said. "Nice to meet you all. I'm so glad that Joey has such a good support team at home. Bessie I see you're also going to have a little one very soon. How far are you?" The doctor asked. "I am eight months today" Bessie answered her. "Is this your first"? The doctor asked Bessie. "Yes ma'am".

Ok Joey lay down so that I can measure your tummy. Dr. Crosby pulled a tape measure out of her lab coat. She placed the tape measure on Joey's stomach. "Joey you are still in the very early stages of your pregnancy. It looks like you are measuring about four weeks along. I am going to refer you to an OB/GYN doctor. They will be able to do an ultrasound and find out your due date. It looks like you have lost about five pounds since the last time I seen you. Are you having any problems Joey?"

"Dr. Crosby Joey has been having such terrible morning sickness" Bessie said. "More like all day sickness" Joey said under her breath. "Is there anything that you could prescribe to her to help her with it?" Bessie asked.

"Yes, there is something I can give her but it's going to make her drowsy. So Joey take it at night before bed. Hopefully it'll help".

"When will I be seeing the OB/GYN doctor?" Joey asked. "I am going to try and get you into Dr. Malone in about two weeks." "So I won't be coming back here?" "No Joey this is your last visit to the clinic. We got your results from your blood tests and I gladly say that you have no STIs. I would also like for you to start taking these prenatal vitamins." Dr. Crosby said reaching into her pocket and producing a bottle of pills. She handed them to Joey. "Other than the morning sickness are you having any other problems?" "No mam" Joey said.

Dr. Crosby stood to leave and said "Joey I want to wish you all the luck. I think you are going to be ok because you have a good support team. I have so many young girls come in here and don't know what they're going to do because everybody deserted them. You are lucky to have your family and the father of the baby standing behind you during this time.

Dr. Crosby scribbled on her prescription pad and handed it to Joey. Joey help onto her hand a bit longer and said "thank you Dr. Crosby." Dr. Crosby hugged Joey and left the room.

"That went good" Pacey said. "Dang Pacey you were so quiet I almost forgot you were here. Come on kiddos let's get some lunch and get Jo's prescription filled. Jo you gotta try and eat something even when you don't feel like it because you're suppose to gain weight not lose it." Bessie said.

"We'll drop off Joey's prescription first then get lunch. By the time we are finished eating it should be ready for pick up." Pacey said. "What do you feel like eating Jo?" Bessie asked. "Soup" Joey replied.

When they finished eating they stopped and picked up Joey's medicine and headed home. I need a nap Joey thought.

Joey took a vitamin and one of her pills for the nausea. In no time she was fast asleep. Pacey cuddled up against her and he too was soon fast asleep.

Joey woke up to something smelling tasty in the air. She got up and walked into the kitchen, where Bessie and Bodie were cooking dinner.

"What are y'all cooking? Y'all have my mouth watering. " "Jo, Bodie is making his famous fried chicken." Bessie said. "Yes, I'm starving." Joey said. "Me too" Pacey said walking into the kitchen while rubbing sleep from his eyes." "Seems like the meds are already working huh Jo." Bessie said. "Seems like it" Joey said smiling.