Chapter Fifty-Two: Veils of Calm

In the first years of Cyrus' Vampire life he learned to conceal his feelings, to keep himself veiled or risk exposing a weakness through the connection to his maker. The skill had been necessary then and was again now. He shifted back into shielding his mind a lot like greasing a rusty chain. When Faye first woke, he could keep nothing from her, but as the day progressed, so did he. In this time of adjustment, he didn't want his torment piled onto hers. She needed him calm, and so he was. However, as Cyrus laid there in the bed with Faye asleep, he was free to feel all the things he didn't want to share.

Alone in his thoughts, he could miss the sound of her heart... He could be afraid for her future, for the cusp she was on, because he knew when things culminated their axis was going to flip. He could feel it building, the energy amplifying in her. That was another cause for concern, the need for all that power.

Faye wasn't created just for the fun of it, there was a purpose, and he feared that purpose might be to destroy Vampires. The grief over her internal silence would fade, but the terror he felt thinking her existence was the harbinger of what would amount to an immortal war, was only getting started. The thoughts had him fighting the urge to steal her away like he'd wished to, but it'd be foolish to try and outrun a destiny like that. They'd have to wait, as Howahkan advised, for fate to catch up again.

In the interim, Cyrus was going to make life as normal as two Vampires living with Wolves could be. He was going to keep Faye close and love her with everything he had. He would keep the shit in his head locked up, give her a chance to breathe... figuratively, that's all he really could do. There would be a learning curve for all, but with Louis and Elsie's support, they would face no threats there.

That eased him a bit, but Faye wasn't feeling the same sense of calm. She'd started to twitch against him, having a dream. He wanted to wake her up, but he didn't follow through. It felt important to let her sleep. He held her a little tighter and she eventually stilled. When she remained that way for a while, he slipped from the bed to handle some business. He had money to move, a property in Pennsylvania to unload, and most important, new identities to acquire.

He texted Louis in search in some new contacts, and to Cyrus' surprise, Louis turned out to be way more helpful than he'd given him credit. Cyrus respected Louis, but it seemed he'd unfairly classified him as more brawn than brain. Not to say he thought Louis was unintelligent, just not as capable as he turned out to be with the tech side of things. And the best part, his loyalty couldn't be bought. He didn't have to worry about the word of an Alpha, especially when his mates safety was also at risk.

Faye woke to her second day as a Vampire filled with a very Human dread. It was heavy and churning in the pit of her stomach, lingering from a dream, the details of which she couldn't recall. Cyrus entered the room as she sat up and asked her, "You alright?"

She nodded, "Yeah... Apparently immortality doesn't cure nightmares though."

"Apparently not. You've been restless a few times, but I didn't want to wake you up. Do you want to talk about it?"

"If I could remember what happened," she replied, noticing he was dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt.

"How are you doing otherwise," he asked, and she could feel him assessing her, trying to sort out how stable she was.

"I think I'm hungry actually," she hadn't thought about food until then, but the idea of breakfast made her mouth water.

"What would you like," he asked.

She smiled, "I'll settle for anything you can make happen."

He laughed and grabbed a white rectangular box she hadn't noticed off the dresser, saying, "I have something for you."