Chapter Thirty-Three: The Calm Before A Storm

Cyrus sat down at the computer in his office to check his e-mail feeling thrilled at the new message in his inbox.  However, the delight quickly evaporated upon opening it.  Richard Cleary said they needed to set up a meeting in person. Cyrus knew immediately something was amiss.

As he sat staring at the screen the best and worst case scenarios played out in his mind. The best, or rather the less problematic situation, was Richard uncovered something appalling and was uncomfortable delivering the information. The worst case being someone had gotten to Richard, and Cyrus was being set up. Either way he was going to have to pay Mr. Cleary a visit, as requested, although, Cyrus was no fool.  He damn sure wasn't gonna be scheduling anything resulting in an ambush. He was going to show up at Richard's house unexpectedly and surprise the man.

Richard lived in New York, it would take him a few hours each way if he ran, which also meant he needed to go at night and he was gonna have to leave Faye alone.  He wasn't comfortable doing that though, he didn't want to leave her for a whole night. He leaned back in his chair and all of a sudden Elsie flashed through his mind. She was the perfect solution. Elsie could keep her company and keep an eye on her, making sure she was safe.  It was perfect.

He retrieved Louis' number from his computer then picked up the phone and called to ask. Even though he woke them both, Elsie agreed happily, and Louis promised he would keep an eye on them.

Cyrus made plans to leave just after sundown which meant he had to make the most of his day with Faye. He decided not to even reply to the e-mail, and he headed to the kitchen to make breakfast. If she didn't wake while he was cooking, he planned to serve her in bed.

Faye woke to a bright beam of sunlight shining in her face. She stretched and sat up smelling bacon. Cyrus was cooking again. She loved that about him, and after using the bathroom and brushing her teeth she headed down to the kitchen to greet him. She entered the doorway and saw him standing over the stove with his back to her wearing jeans and her favorite... nothing else.

His back and shoulder muscles were on display flexing as he moved and she found herself transfixed. Only a vampire could look as lethal and sexy as he did while simply cooking, or maybe it was just her vampire.

She stood watching him, and after a minute of him saying nothing, she thought maybe he didn't realize she was there. Curious to see if she could really sneak up on him, she crept up behind him and reached out stroking her finger slowly down the center of his back.

"Morning Love," he replied casually, in his deep, velvety voice, sending a flicker of heat through her, spurring her to slide her arms around his waist. She put her cheek against his skin and he covered her hands with one of his. She was content to just stand there like that with him while he did whatever.

After a moment of breathing in his fresh, clean scent she said, "I love the way you smell."

He laughed, "That's my line."

"I guess I stole it, then," she said flirtatiously, and in one movement he had her face in his hands and his lips on hers.

Her fingers raked across his back as she tried to pull him closer. She could never get close enough to him.

After a minute he pulled away, grabbing her jaw, forcing their noses to touch, as he said breathless, "Seems we're both thieves."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"What have you stolen," she panted.

"You," then he kissed her again until the smell of burning food permeated the air.