Chapter Three: Introductions

Faye woke experiencing the worst headache of her life. She tried to open her eyes, but found it extremely difficult. Lifting her hand, she rubbed at her forehead, surprised to feel a bandage. Panic shot through her and her eyes popped open.

It took a few deep breaths before her surroundings came into focus and when they did, she felt worse. There was a man asleep in a chair; his massive feet were propped up on the foot of the bed she was in, a bed that did not belong to her. She didn't know what happened, who he was, or how she got there. Hell, she didn't even know where there was. She felt a smidge of relief that she was at least clothed, but it was short lived.

I have to get out of here, was all she could think and she slowly got up from the bed nearly falling over in the process. She stood still for a few minutes letting her legs get used to her weight while her head adjusted to the sudden pressure change. When she felt ready she crept as quietly as possible from the room.

She found herself in a long hallway with dark wood flooring covered by a burgundy and gold printed rug running the length. There were a few closed doors and a staircase leading down. She made her way to the stairs hoping she could make the descent. She felt weighed down, but one step at a time Faye was going for it.

She made it halfway when a deep baritone voice sounded from the top of the stairs, "You're awake..."

Faye drew in a sharp breath at the sound turning to see the blonde man that had been asleep with his feet up on the bed. He was standing at the top of the stairs looking at her. "You don't look well," he said suddenly. "You should sit."

She looked at the stranger, searching, and though she found nothing familiar she did sit, feeling like she might be sick.

"Where am I," she asked in a hoarse voice, "What's happened to me?"

The man came down the stairs and sat opposite from her on the same step, "You don't remember last night," he asked. "The accident?"

Accident...An accident? Faye couldn't remember driving anywhere. Her head was throbbing too loudly to recall anything about the day before. "No," she finally answered.

He ran a hand through his chin length blonde hair then looked right into her eyes and asked, "Do you know who you are?"

Her head hurt, she was very fuzzy on her situation, and his eyes were a distractingly deep blue, but it was there, "Yes. My name's Faye Porter, but I... I don't know who you are."

Her eyes are hazel, a beautiful combo of green and gold, Cyrus thought as he sat across from the girl, Faye she said. "I'm Cyrus," he replied and then he stood extending his hand to help her up. She hesitated but eventually reached out taking the offer. Her hand was small and her skin was smooth and Cyrus liked the feel of helping her down the steps. He escorted her to the living room and didn't let go until she was seated on his brown leather couch.

There was something about her... about the way she looked at him... it felt good.

"Cyrus? That's your name?" she asked and he nodded.

"Is this your house," he nodded again.

"What am I doing here?"

The question wasn't unexpected however Cyrus didn't have an answer prepared. On the fly he decided to leave Roxy out of it saying, "I was driving along Old Mill Road last night and almost hit you." He hesitated slightly with the next part, "You fell and... hit your head."

Her facial expression changed with his words. She looked almost angry as she questioned, "And you decided to bring me here?"

He nodded.

"Did it ever occur to you to take me to a hospital? I could have a concussion. I could've slipped into a coma. Not to mention people are probably worried about me and you've got me passed out in... in your house?"

Cyrus suddenly felt foolish. He would have told her something else had he foreseen his explanation inciting her anger. He wondered how she would have reacted to find the only other option was to leave her on the side of the road where she surely would have died. Would she be angry if he told her that? Wait, why does it matter if she's angry with me, he wondered. And, had she just implied there was no one in particular that would care she had not made it home. He didn't like it. He had to find out, "Probably worried? You said people were probably worried about you... Are you unsure?"

"No, I'm sure. People are worried," and then she got to her feet and started to walk toward the front door.

He wasn't buying it but he didn't want to frighten her by calling her bluff about how no one was missing her. He sure was curious about her though and he didn't want her to leave so he offered her an apology hoping to diffuse the situation, "Wait," he said. "I'm sorry. I realize it was not the best decision, bringing you here. I should've called for help."

"Ya think?"

"Yes. Let me make it up to you. Why don't you sit and let me make you breakfast... You can use the phone, and when you're ready I'll give you a ride wherever you want."

Faye wanted to be mad but one little apology from a good-looking guy was all it took to calm her. Cyrus was at least a foot taller than her, broad shouldered and packed with lean looking muscles. His hair was slightly wavy and he had a strong squared jaw that was very masculine. He had a rugged quality to him and his voice was deep and... very sexy. Ok, not just his voice, he was sexy. Cyrus, she repeated his name in her mind enjoying the tingles it caused before snapping out of it and deciding she needed to get away from him.

First with the yelling and now she was practically drooling... Yep, she needed to leave. "I really should go," she said halfheartedly.

"You're in no condition to race off and I really feel terrible. Please, at the very least, let me feed you and give you a ride home."

She shook her head, saying no, but somehow when she spoke, "ok," came out of her mouth instead.