Chapter Forty-Two: Plans for a Monarchy

Roxy woke to a gentle tugging of a few strands of her hair. She had fallen asleep in Dmitri's arms, but they weren't wrapped around her then. Her eyes opened to find him lying on his side starring at her with a few strands of her dark hair wound loosely around his fingers. The moment their eyes met he stopped twirling it and smiled. The ice-grey color of his eyes seemed somehow warm and though she felt a little uneasy she smiled back. When he said nothing she asked in a whisper, "Why are you staring at me?"

Dmitri's smile broadened on one side, becoming playful, and he asked in the same hushed tone, "Does it bother you?"

"Yes," she replied, "You're like two inches from my face."

"No," he disagreed and then one of his arms came around her side and pulled her forward against his body as the other took hold of her chin and angled her face towards his. He paused right before joining their lips and said, "This is two inches. I was at least a foot," then he kissed her.

Kissing Dmitri happened all at once and dominated everything.  His lips were perfect against hers, the contact lighting a fire in all the right places. He released her face and the she felt his hands moving along her body as he rolled them over and settled above her. A sound of approval escaped Roxy's lips and in response he reached down pulling her leg up around his hip. Her plans had been abstinence until Hector and Tatiana were dead, but kissing him felt so right that she wasn't going to stop anything.

There was something so good about the feel of his hands on her, about the way his body felt against hers. She definitely wanted him and when he pulled back from her mouth on a snarl with his cheeks hollowed out and his eyes narrowed on hers the only thing that stopped her from seeking his mouth again was the knock at the door he had obviously heard coming. He drew in a thick breath of air then grabbed her face roughly, forcing her eyes towards his he ordered, "Don't move," before he got off the bed leaving her panting in a mass of tangled sheets.

"What," he barked, opening the door.

Roxy couldn't see the interrupter on the other side of the door because of the angle of the bed, but she could hear a nervous human heartbeat and a falsely confidant male voice say, "Sir, I have some news you would be angry if we did not deliver at once. The attorney you had traced turned up dead in his office. A cleaning crew found the body.  Our guys heard some things are missing, but they haven't been able to confirm what.  Police think it was a robbery."

Well shit... she thought. That certainly was going to change how they spent their morning, but then Dmitri replied calmly, "See if the money I gave him can be retrieved. Is there any news on the other front?"

"Nothing yet. Will you and Ms. LaValle be having breakfast?"

Dmitri turned towards her for a response, "Ah... No thank you," she said.

He turned back to the voice in the hallway and said, "No breakfast, and I don't want anyone knocking on this door unless she moves," Then he shut the door in the guys face and turned back to her smiling.

He didn't seem angry that the attorney had turned up dead, which furthered her unease and need for answers like who was the she?

Dmitri returned to the bed and Roxy drew her knees in, wrapping her arms around them, as he sat down in front of her. 

"Do you think it was Cyrus," she asked and he shook his head, "It doesn't matter."

"But he was our only lead..."

"I have something to tell you," and judging by the smile on his face it wasn't bad. He reached out and ran his fingertips over her arm lightly, "Last night... Faye Porter.... got off a plane and showed up at that farm in Pennsylvania."