Chapter Forty: Succeeding Sucks

Faye woke to the sound of the phone ringing, and Cyrus's voice as he answered greeting Elsie. She rolled out of the bed, and upon realizing she was naked, she wrapped the blanket around herself before joining him in the hallway. He turned towards her as she approached and lowered the phone from his ear.

"Morning Love, how are you feeling," he asked and he reached his hand out, letting his fingertips brush across her throat lightly.

She took his hand in hers and brought it to her lips, placing a kiss on his knuckles before answering simply, "I'm with you."

He smiled, "So is that good or bad?"

She ignored his question and asked, "Is that Elsie? I thought I heard you say her name."

He looked down at the phone almost as if he had forgotten he was holding it, "Yeah. She wants to speak with you."

"Oh, ok," she said, and then he handed her the phone.

"Elsie," she said into the receiver, and then it was done.

Elsie asked to take her out as if they hadn't  spoken and Faye accepted pretending to be pleasantly surprised. When she hung up Cyrus had the look of uncertainty on his face.

"Faye, I don't think you going out with Elsie is the best decision right now."

She smiled, "Not now... Tonight though, should be fun."

Fun, god there would be nothing fun about it.

"I don't like it Faye," and all she wanted to say was, me either, but, she played her part.

"Cyrus, Elsie and I get along, and I need all the friends I can get.  Besides, she said it's a Pack bar which means I won't run into anyone who wants to eat me."

He smiled at that and said, "I really don't like this."

"But you know I'll be fine."

"Is there nothing I can say?"

"Say you'll trust that I'll always find my way back to you, no matter what."

He cupped her face, looking into her eyes with an intensity that stole her breath, "And if you don't, I'll come and get you."

It was a promise she had zero doubt he would follow through on, and she didn't know what to say, so she stepped away from him, turning for the bedroom calling over her shoulder, "So what will you do while I'm out?"

"I actually have a few things to take care of today."

She went into the closet looking for something to wear as she questioned, "What things?"

"Nothing important.  Just some errands."

That stopped her clothing search, "And you have to do them today?"

"Yes, I need to head into town, the sooner the better actually."

"I was hoping to spend the day with you here."

"I won't be gone long."

"But..." she stalled unable to tell him it might be the last day they would spend together for a long time.

He smiled at her, "Faye, I'm not going over to Howahkan's if that's what you're worried about."

Of course he thought that's what she was stressing over, she smiled and said, "Ok," trying to sound appeased.

He kissed her on the head, "I'll be back soon," and then he was gone. Faye took a few deep breaths trying to quiet the panic storming through her only to focus on all of Cyrus' clothes hanging neatly. She reached out with both arms and hugged a huge chunk of them before she crumpled to the floor sobbing, pulling everything she had in her arms down with her.