Chapter Twenty-Six: A Destiny Revealed

Faye stormed out of Howahkan's house without a clue where she was heading. All she knew was that staying inside where everything was closing in on her wasn't an option. She was suffocating. She thought the fresh air would help, but it didn't, and when she heard Cyrus come out of the house calling after her it only made the feelings worse.

"Faye," Cyrus said again, trying to get her to stop.

"Go away," she snapped as she walked unfaltering down the driveway with her mind racing. She didn't want to face him after shoving her finger in his mouth. She saw his fangs and had to touch one, she couldn't stop herself. She felt like something was compelling her, and then it was gone and she was at a loss. Somewhere between the words biological parents becoming a relevant distinction and trying to force-feed a vampire, Faye had lost it.

She said something embarrassing to some chick with a big fat smile she wanted no parts of, then she bailed, before anything could get worse. Her head was spinning.

Adopted, dead biological mother, un-human biological father, hunted by vampires... a future as one... "How is this happening?"

"Faye, please," Cyrus said, but she just ignored him and kept walking towards the road. She felt so unbelievably alone and empty... it hurt.  She hurt.  How could her mother- ah, nope, she would never call Kimberly Porter her mother again. She would've never guessed the woman had been lying to her all her life because it was the convenient thing to do.  She was always selfish, but Faye had no idea how truly horrible she actually was. I hate her, she thought and it felt good so she yelled it, "I hate her! I fucking hate her!"

"Who," Cyrus demanded, grabbing her arm forcing her to stop, and she was subconsciously ready for it, even if her thoughts were elsewhere because she jerked her arm away and spun on him, shoving him with as much force as she could muster, "Get away from me!"

He reached for her again and she pushed his hands away, "Don't touch me. I'm done. I'm done with this. I'm done with all of it!"

"Just talk to me, tell me what to do for you."

"You want to know what you can do... you can go away.  I need to be alone right now."

"I'm not leaving you."

"God! How are you not getting this?"

"Faye, everything's gonna be alright,"

"No it's not-"

"I'll make certain of it," he vowed in a voice so severe she didn't recognize it as his, and she didn't know where her response came from, but the next words out her mouth were, "This is all your fault! You should've let your friend finish me off! I hate you!"

And that little outburst sparked something icy in Cyrus' eyes to rival that of the venom in his voice.  He grabbed her face forcing her eyes to meet his, "You can say things you don't mean, but you can't push me away. I'm not going anywhere," then his voice softened, "Just talk to me and I'll make this right."

He was right, she didn't mean what she'd said, but she wasn't about to admit it. 

"You're so arrogant," she said pushing him off. "What makes you think you can fix any of this? I don't even know what I am anymore. How can you make that right?"

"You're still you. No matter what else changes, you're still you."

"I don't even know where I came from."

"I can help you with that. I can find anything there is to find about your birth parents."

The thought of finding who her real mother was had her heart thumping. She wanted to say yes, but she didn't speak. He continued in her silence, a little cooler sounding, deeper and slower, "I could kill the other woman for you, if you wanted..."