Chapter Twenty-Three: Trading Up

When morning came bearing down, and there was no sign of Cyrus, Roxy felt like a damn fool. She must have called his phone fifty times and the thing went straight to voicemail every single time. Hector didn't say, I told you so, but he didn't have to, his smug expression said it for him. She had been wrong.

Yesterday she would've bet anything that Cyrus would bring the girl to them. Turns out, he played them, and there was no telling where he disappeared to. Now, Tatiana was off screwing things up even more, literally, and Hector seemed perfectly content waiting for her to come through. 

All of the stress and lack of sleep had her ready for blood again, and not just a sip from a glass... She wanted it warm and from a vein.

"Hector," she said getting his attention. He looked over, but said nothing. "I need blood. I'm going to hunt if you care to join me."

"I think we should stay here."

"Of course you do," she said snottily, getting to her feet.

"Roxanne, I really think it would be wise if we wait here to hear from Tatiana."

"Leave a note if you're that worried about it, and besides you act like she can't pinpoint exactly where you are and summon you to her side on a whim."

"I realize you are unhappy about her presence, but-"

"Save it," she said putting her hand up to silence him. "You can stay here, I'll be back," then she took off still wearing the red dress and pumps from the night before.

She was about a mile out when Hector joined her. He silently took her hand and led them towards the city. It was just after dawn, but there would be plenty of people out, it would be easy to choose someone.

They picked a street at random, strolling  down it leisurely, patiantly waiting for the right moment.  It came when a man in his forties practically asked to be breakfast. He was bent over fiddling with something in the passenger's seat of his car. Hector nudged her and she smiled letting him know she saw him as well. He was exposed, open to attack, so they did. Hector shoved him in the car and closed the door. Roxy hopped into the back. Hector had the keys in the ignition and they were driving away before the guy was properly frightened.

"Ttttake the car, take whatever you want! Just let me out and it's yours," he practically cried and Roxy loved it. His heart was like a jackhammer pounding a hole into his chest cavity. She sat up and wrapped her arms around him from the backseat, "Oh we don't want your car," she said exposing her fangs positioning them on his neck. He struggled, but he was no match for her, she subdued him easily and when she bit, he squealed.

Hector laughed, "Save some for me Princess."

No problem there, she thought, swallowing down the stale tasting liquid. It would give her what she needed, but it wasn't even close to tasting good. Roxy wasn't expecting blood on the level of the Rare Bloods, but this guy was flavorless.

The human moaned in pain, provoking her to reposition her teeth and drink harder. She enjoyed making it hurt from time to time, and the guy was at least fulfilling her that way.

Hector seemed unable to hold back any longer because even though he was still driving he took the guys arm and sunk into his wrist. It wasn't long after that he grew silent and still. His heart quit and they both let go.  He was dead, drained.

"Oops," she said, wiping the back of her hand across her mouth.

"Oops indeed," Hector agreed, smiling at her.

Roxy would never admit it, but older business men always gave her an extra thrill, on some level they all reminded her of her father.   It felt like payback for all the times he put his hands on her then threw money at her to go away. Dominique was the only one that knew about it, and she killed him for her, but every time Roxy got an older guy it was like she was offing the bastard. A girl can fantasize, she thought and leaned back up whispering in the dead mans ear, "You tasted like shit, but thanks for making it fun."