Chapter Twenty: All's fair in love and war

Cyrus and Faye made it all the way to Wisconsin before she couldn't handle being confined to the cab of his truck any longer.  Sure, he'd made it as easy on her as he could; he let her control the radio and the temperature.  He asked a few times if she was hungry, but other than that he respected her space which she appreciated.  In return, she tried not to complain, but as he drove on, it got harder.   

The limit of time Faye could comfortably spend in a vehicle had come and gone by the time she finally spoke up, "Cyrus," she questioned.

"Yes," he replied softly.

 "Do you think we could stop?"

"You ok," he asked and glanced over at her with his brows drawn together like he was worried.

"I just need to stretch out."

"You hungry?  We could stop and eat then get back on the road..."

"No, I mean like stop for the night," Faye said feeling nervous as his blue eyes scanned her features, searching, before he finally said, "Sure.  I'll take the next exit."

"Thank you."

"But, before we find a hotel I want to try find some place to shop.  I didn't pack much either and if we take care of it now we won't lose time tomorrow."

She wanted to protest going to the store because of her financial situation, but she did need some things.  She was just going to have to be cheap, like bare essentials only, cheap. 

She sat quietly until he took an exit and asked, "I don't know what we'll find, but where do you usually like to shop?"

"It doesn't matter," she shrugged.

He smiled at her then focused back on the road saying, "I'll ask someone at the gas station what's around."

After leaving the gas station they followed the directions given by the clerk to a Target about twenty minutes down the road. He parked and got out coming around to her side as she climbed down.  He took her hand and intertwined their fingers before pulling her along next to him.  There was something exciting about holding hands with Cyrus; it made her feel all tingly, even more so now that she knew he was... different

When they made it into the store he let go of her hand, saying, "Stay right next to me, Ok?"

"Ok..." she mumbled.

"I'm serious," he warned, getting a cart, then saying, "Come on, we have to find you some kind of a coat.  And you need warm clothes, at least a weeks worth."

"Cyrus," she cautioned, "I don't have the funds for all that."

"I told you not to worry.  I've got you."

"I can't let you buy me a bunch of stuff."

"You can either pick out what you want or I'll do it for you, but either way, this is happening," and he pushed the cart towards the women's department right in the front of the store.  "You're not fair," she grumbled feeling awkward.  

"No... I owe you.  It is, after all, my fault you didn't get to pack in the first place."

"I feel weird about this," she admitted as he started looking through a rack of black puffy coats with tan faux fur trimmed hoods.  "Don't feel weird," he said, "I wouldn't let you pay for anything no matter the situation."

Faye didn't respond and he held one of the coats out towards her as if trying to gauge her size. The look on his face seemed to suggest he was satisfied and she reached out just in time to stop him from tossing it into the cart, "Not this one."